Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 14 won’t connect to internet via WiFi

My phone constantly stops connecting to the internet. There is no pattern and this happens multiple times per hour. Other devices (computer, TV) are connected just fine, while none of the apps on my phone can reach the internet. WiFi connection is solid and the settings give no indication of a problem. Restarting the phone does nothing.

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 10:18 AM

It is not just the browser. No app connects to the internet, I get a message from the app that there is no internet connection, even though all other devices (Alexa, TV, computer) get a signal over the same Wi-Fi and are working just fine. Even though the phone settings show a strong Wi-Fi connection and there is no indication the internet connection has been lost. The phone failure happens on all Wi-Fi networks, not just my home network. It is very frustrating.

165 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 10:18 AM in response to TheLittles

It is not just the browser. No app connects to the internet, I get a message from the app that there is no internet connection, even though all other devices (Alexa, TV, computer) get a signal over the same Wi-Fi and are working just fine. Even though the phone settings show a strong Wi-Fi connection and there is no indication the internet connection has been lost. The phone failure happens on all Wi-Fi networks, not just my home network. It is very frustrating.

Jan 30, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Dario de Judicibus

Thank you, Dario. This is the truth. This morning I waited nearly 20 minutes for my iPhone to find the internet. The phone was on Wi-Fi with a strong signal and the phone did not indicate the internet was inaccessible. Meanwhile, my security, heating, galaxy tablet, and computer were all online via the same Wi-Fi. Apple needs to DO BETTER.

Feb 25, 2023 12:28 PM in response to PJSBend

I am having this same problem. Recently purchased iPhone Pro 14. Sometimes it connects just fine, but (usually in the mornings after many hours being dormant) it will not connect to WiFi. Other devices on the same network will connect. My wife's iPhone 13 will also connect, so there is nothing wrong with the WiFi. If I turn off my phone and turn it on again, it connects. Very annoying.

Mar 2, 2023 1:15 PM in response to con227

con227 wrote:

Like everyone else, really bad intermittent wifi…..randomly connects and then no internet. Mine is a business phone and causing big problems when travelling.
Worst decision I made…..should have stayed with my rock solid Samsung.

Who does “everyone else” include? Certainly not the vast majority of the 2 billion iPhone users around the world who do NOT have really bad intermittent Wi-Fi.

You are absolutely right. Every Samsung ever made has been absolutely perfect, which is why you never see any complaints in a Samsung forum.

So start by troubleshooting YOUR issue (not the non-issue of 2 billion iPhones):

• FIRST, do you use VPN? If so, delete the VPN profile and app and see if that fixes it.
  • Does it happen with all Wi-Fi networks, or just one?
  • If it’s just one, have you tried restarting your router?
  • Have you tried different locations, both close to and far from the router?
  • Have you followed this guidance→Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support
  • Have you tried “Forgetting” the network, restarting your phone, and the reconnecting?
  • Have you tried Reset Network Settings?
  • If it is all Wi-Fi networks have you again tried Reset Network Settings?
  • Have you tried 3rd party networks in different physical locations?
  • If it happens with all networks, and you are not using VPN, contact Apple support to have your hardware problem analyzed→Official Apple Support

Jan 23, 2023 9:43 PM in response to PJSBend

PJSBend Said:

"iPhone 14 won’t connect to internet via WiFi: My phone constantly stops connecting to the internet. There is no pattern and this happens multiple times per hour. Other devices (computer, TV) are connected just fine, while none of the apps on my phone can reach the internet. WiFi connection is solid and the settings give no indication of a problem. Restarting the phone does nothing."

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone WiFi:

Four Thoughts:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

If connecting is unsuccessful, try clearing out your Temporary Internet FilesHistoryCache, and Cookies Go Here: Clear your Safari browser history and set up content blockers on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

B. Try manually restarting your iPhone:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

C. Is Cellular Data Enabled?:

Cellular Data always overrules Wi-Fi. So, if applicable, disable Cellular Data, if enabled, and see if you get Wi-Fi to work.

D. Troubleshooting Connectivity:

Wi-Fi: If your iPhone won’t Connect to a Wi-Fi Network - Apple Support

Jan 23, 2023 9:26 PM in response to WinsC1

There is nothing wrong with my WiFi. As I stated in my original post, every other device has no problem reaching the internet. The only device that can’t find the internet is the Apple phone. The phone shows a strong Wi-Fi connection and no errors noting lack of internet. It just does not have an internet connection. I have many, many issues with this phone, so I chalk it up to the phone being defective.

Mar 14, 2023 2:01 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

• FIRST, do you use VPN? If so, delete the VPN profile and app and see if that fixes it.
    • So I can't use VPN with iPhone?
  • Does it happen with all Wi-Fi networks, or just one?
    • I only am connected to my WiFi for long enough to be an issue. The problem happens when my phone goes to sleep, and that has only happened at home so far.
  • If it’s just one, have you tried restarting your router?
    • This is not an issue with any other device on my WiFi network, so it can't be the router.
  • Have you tried different locations, both close to and far from the router?
    • Tried that
  • Have you followed this guidance→Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support
    • I'll read this
  • Have you tried “Forgetting” the network, restarting your phone, and the reconnecting?
    • Yes. It doesn't help. The only thing that fixes it is if I turn off the phone and restart.
  • Have you tried Reset Network Settings?
  • If it is all Wi-Fi networks have you again tried Reset Network Settings?
  • Have you tried 3rd party networks in different physical locations?
    • No. I don't really have access to any third party networks except public WiFi which I generally don't use.

Mar 14, 2023 2:00 PM in response to pemurray

pemurray wrote:

So I can't use VPN with iPhone?

VPN frequently creates more problems than it solves. But one important fact is that when you install VPN it configures itself to the specific hardware, iOS version and network that the phone uses. If any of those change it can break the VPN. So any time you change any of these you may need to delete the VPN app and profile, restart your phone then add them back (if you still want to use VPN) so it can configure itself to the new environment.

Here's Apple's advice on VPN→

Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

Something to think about→Don't use VPN - GITHUB

There are two legitimate purposes for using VPN:

• To allow access to a private network such as a school or business when you are not on site. 
  • To allow access outside of a country with a repressive government that has restricted Internet access. (This has suddenly become more important)

Any other use is risky, and can lead to problems like the one discussed in this thread. VPN disguises your location by making you appear to be somewhere else in the world. But you usually can’t control that “somewhere else”, and if it is in a location that an app isn’t approved for the app won’t work. Plus the fact that the provider of the VPN knows everything about you and your location, as well as what sites you access through the VPN. So you are totally dependent on the VPN provider’s honesty. As a start, if the VPN is free, DON’T USE IT. The provider has to make money somehow, and if you aren’t paying them then they are selling your private data to make money. But even those that charge can’t necessarily be trusted. For example, a few years ago Avast was caught selling user browsing data. They claim they have stopped doing so. 

You don’t really need VPN when using public Wi-Fi, because all communications between your device and the servers it accesses are end-to-end encrypted.

If you want VPN for privacy about the sites you visit, that’s not a good choice as discussed; instead you should download and use the TOR browser.

The other use for VPN is to “steal” content that is not available in your area. I leave this question to your personal ethics.

With iOS 15.2 and later for iOS/iPadOS and MacOS Monterey 12.2 and later Apple now has iCloud+ Private Relay, which is not VPN, but provides a safer browsing environment than VPN, and it doesn't spy on you→About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

Mar 29, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don't care if you believe me or not. I'm telling you how my phone works. I have read all your comments to different people on this post, and you can get very disrespectful if somebody don't agree with your answer. We don't need that. We are here trying to help each other and see if we can find a solution. So if you are not going to help or put yourself on our situation and disrespect us, please DO NOT ANSWER ANYMORE.

May 24, 2023 11:00 AM in response to Lynda_

What troubleshooting have you done?

Do you use VPN? If you do, remove the profile and app.

What is your cellular signal strength?

Have you reset network settings:

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 15 or later, tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Have you checked for a carrier update→Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jan 23, 2023 7:33 PM in response to PJSBend

Hey PJSBend,

We'd recommend reviewing the information in this article as it provides steps to help resolve Wi-Fi issues: If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

"1. Make sure that your router is on and that you're within range

If you're too far from your Wi-Fi router, you can't get a signal, so make sure that you're within range.

2. Make sure that Wi-Fi is on and that you can see your network

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and make sure that Wi-Fi is on. Tap the name of your Wi-Fi network to join. A blue checkmark beside a network name means that you're connected.

If you see Auto Join disabled under Settings > Wi-Fi > [Your Network], tap the More Info button and then tap Auto-Join.

An iPhone showing the Wi-Fi screen. There's a blue a checkmark next to the Wi-Fi network's name.

3. If asked, enter your Wi-Fi password

If asked, enter the password for your Wi-Fi network. Get help if you don't know your password.

Even if you enter the correct password, you might see an "unable to join the network" message or an "incorrect password" message. Restart all of your devices, then try to enter your password again.

4. Check for issues with your Wi-Fi network

If iOS or iPadOS detects an issue with your Wi-Fi connection, you might see a Wi-Fi recommendation under the name of the Wi-Fi network that you're connected to. For example, you might see the alert "No Internet Connection." To get more information, tap the Wi-Fi network.

An iPhone showing the Wi-Fi screen. There's an alert message under the Wi-Fi network's name.

5. Check your cables and connections

If you still can't connect to your network or get online, make sure that your router is connected to the modem and turned on.

6. Restart

Restart your iOS or iPadOS device.

Restart your router and cable or DSL modem by unplugging the device and then plugging it back in.

After you restart each device, see if you fixed the issue.

7. Reset your network settings

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 15 or later, tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before."

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2023 12:38 PM in response to DMMSU

The known issue is nonsense. Here is the long answer:

VPN frequently creates more problems than it solves. But one important fact is that when you install VPN it configures itself to the specific hardware, iOS version and network that the phone uses. If any of those change, INCLUDING updating iOS to a new version, it can break the VPN. So any time you change any of these you may need to delete the VPN app and profile, restart your phone then add them back (if you still want to use VPN) so it can configure itself to the new environment.

Here's Apple's advice on VPN→

Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

And something to think about→Don't use VPN - GITHUB

There are two legitimate purposes for using VPN:

• To allow access to a private network such as a school or business when you are not on site. 
  • To allow access outside of a country with a repressive government that has restricted Internet access. (This has suddenly become more important)

Any other use is risky, and can lead to problems like the one discussed in this thread. VPN disguises your location by making you appear to be somewhere else in the world. But you usually can’t control that “somewhere else”, and if it is in a location that an app isn’t approved for the app won’t work. Plus the fact that the provider of the VPN knows everything about you and your location, as well as what sites you access through the VPN. So you are totally dependent on the VPN provider’s honesty. As a start, if the VPN is free, DON’T USE IT. The provider has to make money somehow, and if you aren’t paying them then they are selling your private data to make money. But even those that charge can’t necessarily be trusted. For example, a few years ago Avast was caught selling user browsing data. They claim they have stopped doing so. 

You don’t really need VPN when using public Wi-Fi, because all communications between your device and the servers it accesses are end-to-end encrypted.

If you want VPN for privacy about the sites you visit, that’s not a good choice as discussed; instead you should download and use the TOR browser.

The other use for VPN is to “pirate” content that is not available in your area. I leave this question to your personal ethics.

With iOS 15.2 and later for iOS/iPadOS and MacOS Monterey 12.2 and later Apple now has iCloud+ Private Relay, which is not VPN, but provides a safer browsing environment than VPN, and it doesn't spy on you→About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

iPhone 14 won’t connect to internet via WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.