Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting error msgs that my Apple ID and phone number are now being used for IMessage and FaceTime on a new Apple Watch AND that my Apple ID is being used to sign in on the web near Mount Laurel, NJ

I have had both messages before and I changed my password the first time. But the second time that it happened it was a day after a Tesla update enabling Apple Music and I am suspecting Tesla. I live nowhere near Mount Laurel, NJ; in fact, I live in FL, the same place the previous questioner lives. I checked my devices and they are all valid, as far as I can tell. I have had the error msg about Mount Laurel before, about a year ago, but it popped up right after an Apple ID change and I just accepted it. Now I'm getting concerned. TIA for any help you can offer.

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 9

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 4:58 AM

A possible reason for an incorrect location is explained in the section titled, "The first time that you sign in with your Apple ID on a new device" by clicking on the link for the support article 'Two-factor authentication for Apple ID' --> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

"The notification might include a map of the approximate location of the sign-in attempt. This location is based on the new device's IP address and might reflect the network that it's connected to, rather than the exact physical location." So it may really depend upon where the headquarters of your Internet service or cellular company is located.

Alternatively, somebody does know your ID and password and Apple's security is working as it should, in which case change your password and make sure you're using two-factor authentication.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2023 4:58 AM in response to swdez

A possible reason for an incorrect location is explained in the section titled, "The first time that you sign in with your Apple ID on a new device" by clicking on the link for the support article 'Two-factor authentication for Apple ID' --> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

"The notification might include a map of the approximate location of the sign-in attempt. This location is based on the new device's IP address and might reflect the network that it's connected to, rather than the exact physical location." So it may really depend upon where the headquarters of your Internet service or cellular company is located.

Alternatively, somebody does know your ID and password and Apple's security is working as it should, in which case change your password and make sure you're using two-factor authentication.

Jan 22, 2023 5:25 AM in response to swdez

It's really up to you if you want to change it. If you're concerned about security then it's just a way to play it safe.

It could be that something is just resetting and triggering the warning. I have a bunch of older devices that I may not use for a month or more and turning one on may trigger that. I kind of anticipate it.

For iOS 15 or earlier, if you want to see if anyone else has access to your device or accounts, click here --> See who has access to your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

For iOS 16 or later see how Safety Check on iPhone works to keep you safe. How Safety Check on iPhone works to keep you safe - Apple Support

Related materials:

Personal Safety User Guide

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

> open the Table of Contents

A document with general information about security and your Apple ID --> Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

Jan 22, 2023 5:14 AM in response to Limnos

That's helpful since my internet service is located near Philly. So you recommend that I keep changing my password every time I get this message? That's twice in one week. Annoying, but not as annoying as the alternative, I suppose. I do use two-factor authentication. But changing the password weekly would be onerous. Would like to figure out how I can protect my password better and how "someone" knows it.

Getting error msgs that my Apple ID and phone number are now being used for IMessage and FaceTime on a new Apple Watch AND that my Apple ID is being used to sign in on the web near Mount Laurel, NJ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.