Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ask to buy still not working in 2023

I see there are tons of users having this same problem. There is no point in asking it again, but there is still no solution in the year 2023… Does anyone have a magic bullet answer to fixing Ask To Buy other than to switch to Android, where everything just works, and flawlessly, at least compared to Apple?

The problem: There seems to be no way in which I can consistently receive notifications from my children for app approvals.

I don’t even understand why I have to do anything other than tell Apple that they are my children. Apple has no sense of privacy, security, or safety!

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:40 PM

Hi Apple-ab-user,

Seems you have a long-standing problem with "Ask to Buy".

The many families who have it working properly likely do not say anything much.

Seems it can be set up smoothly in many cases.

Much as we;'d like to help: as Apple users, like yourself, those in the Community here can not see how you have set up "Ask to Buy" or where the hitch occurs, eg: whether you have set it up on one device only, or on several devices you use, whether there are other restrictions set, (either on your device, or children's devices), that limit purchases, whether your children have their own Apple IDs, whether there is an older device that has pre-"Ask to Buy" settings over-riding purchases made in error by smaller children, etc. etc.,

Apple support's online article offers trouble-shooting tips.

If Ask to Buy isn't working - Apple Support

or

How to Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy – Apple Support

Other articles that may be worth investigating / checking settings etc.:

Manage App Store purchases, subscriptions, settings, and restrictions on iPad – Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store - Apple Support

Set up Screen Time for a family member on iPad - Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 3:40 PM in response to Apple-ab-user

Hi Apple-ab-user,

Seems you have a long-standing problem with "Ask to Buy".

The many families who have it working properly likely do not say anything much.

Seems it can be set up smoothly in many cases.

Much as we;'d like to help: as Apple users, like yourself, those in the Community here can not see how you have set up "Ask to Buy" or where the hitch occurs, eg: whether you have set it up on one device only, or on several devices you use, whether there are other restrictions set, (either on your device, or children's devices), that limit purchases, whether your children have their own Apple IDs, whether there is an older device that has pre-"Ask to Buy" settings over-riding purchases made in error by smaller children, etc. etc.,

Apple support's online article offers trouble-shooting tips.

If Ask to Buy isn't working - Apple Support

or

How to Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy – Apple Support

Other articles that may be worth investigating / checking settings etc.:

Manage App Store purchases, subscriptions, settings, and restrictions on iPad – Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store - Apple Support

Set up Screen Time for a family member on iPad - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Ask to buy still not working in 2023

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.