Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu Bar - only half is showing

Only the bottom half of my menu bar displays unless I drag my cursor over it. When I do drag my cursor over it my entire screen shifts downwards about a half inch and the menu bar fully displays.

Similarly, if I drag my cursor over to the extreme left or right of the screen any open windows also shift about a half inch.

I did try going to system preferences to turn the "hide and show" the menu bar off and on but it didn't help.

Any suggestions on how to have my menu bar back to normal?

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 5:07 PM

it sounds like you have inadvertently "zoomed in" on your screen a little. try pressing and holding your keyboard's "control" key, and scroll your mouse.

4 replies

Jan 22, 2023 1:23 PM in response to C Nelson

It sounds like something may be confusing the OS.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to do disk repair, clear certain caches and logs and other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Menu Bar - only half is showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.