Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning Digital AV Adaptor

Some time ago I purchased an iPhone accessory, an "Lightning Digital AV Adaptor" [also referred to as a "Lightning to HDMI Adaptor"].  It worked well on my TV or HDMI monitor but I later preferred to watch videos thru other devices.  Recently I thought of using this adaptor with my iPhone 12 Mini to edit documents with Pages or interact with full web pages on Safari.  In other words use a real full screen instead of the small iPhone screen.  This would fit well with my bluetooth keyboard.  I could not find ANY apps in the Apple App Store that uses this adaptor!  So my question is does anyone know of an app that uses this adaptor?  Currently the adaptor just mirrors iPhone screen - on my TV or HDMI monitor the picture is twice the size of my iPhone's screen leaving most of screen unused.

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 11:17 PM

As SravanKrA suggests, you may be suffering from a non-Apple, third-party adaptor. I have tested several of these alternative adaptors and found them all wanting. Some only partly work, one didn't work at all with a TV or with a monitor.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do when you mention "an app that uses the adaptor" but, whatever you are doing, you need to use the genuine Apple adaptor if you want to avoid difficulties.

I use a genuine adaptor and a Bluetooth Apple keyboard extensively with Pages and – as with all other functions of the iPhone – it fills the screen of a TV or a monitor, but it always only mirrors the iPhone screen, which is what it was designed to do.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2023 11:17 PM in response to brain_dead

As SravanKrA suggests, you may be suffering from a non-Apple, third-party adaptor. I have tested several of these alternative adaptors and found them all wanting. Some only partly work, one didn't work at all with a TV or with a monitor.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do when you mention "an app that uses the adaptor" but, whatever you are doing, you need to use the genuine Apple adaptor if you want to avoid difficulties.

I use a genuine adaptor and a Bluetooth Apple keyboard extensively with Pages and – as with all other functions of the iPhone – it fills the screen of a TV or a monitor, but it always only mirrors the iPhone screen, which is what it was designed to do.

Jan 23, 2023 6:50 PM in response to Wightrabbit

My apologies to SravanKrA and to yourself. I bought this adaptor at Apple - I was not aware that non-Apple devices were available to do the same job. On my iPhone if I go into Settings->General->About, there is a menu item titled "Apple Digital AV Adapter" and the screenshot [attached] shows the contents of that menu item. It clearly states it is an Apple device.

I can use Pages or any other app and see it on the monitor or TV but it is like a "continuous screenshot". Some streaming apps I've used in past recognize the attached monitor or TV connected to it. They change from just mirroring the iOS screen to FULLY populating the monitor or TV's screen with the video content. That is what I'd like to do with Pages or Safari. I don't just want a see a copy the iOS screen with all its buttons and symbols on the top and bottom of the screen. Some apps refer to what I'm trying to do as "full screen mode".

I'm starting to doubt that what I want to do has been invented yet. Your statement "... it always only mirrors the iPhone screen, which is what it was designed to do" says it all. I don't know about the "designed to do" part but obviously it is possible to fully populate screen. I expect that the iPhone software is designed to just mirror the iPhone screen "by default", however, streaming apps can treat the attached screen as either an alternative screen OR a mirroring screen.

Jan 23, 2023 10:46 PM in response to brain_dead

No apologies needed, and thanks for replying with more info.

Some streaming services carry material that the copyright owners don't want you to pipe out of your iPhone – possibly on to a recording device – so their programme material carries an inbuilt prevention system. In such a case, not even the official Apple HDMI adaptor will allow export of that material.

Even so, the Apple adaptor will often work in some (other) circumstances where third-party adaptors will fail you. It really is worth the extra price, so you were wise to buy the real thing.

Jan 24, 2023 7:53 PM in response to Wightrabbit

For your info, the Apple [Lightning] Digital AV Adapter used with a TV or HDMI monitor can show on the attached screen a fully populated movie screen. The App Store has free app titled "Tubi". Tubi is free movie streaming service. [Internet downloads may still cost you depending on your internet contract.] I mention this because video streaming services seem to have mastered having a fully functioning second screen NOT just a mirroring screen. My original question is, does anyone know of an app [other than video streaming app] that uses the Apple [Lightning] Digital AV Adapter? I would like to see e.g. Pages or Safari on the attached screen in full screen.

Lightning Digital AV Adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.