How can I play a 1920 x 1080 video full screen using the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter?

I created a 1920 x 1080 video that plays beautifully on my iPhone and iPad in landscape orientation.  Yes, there are blank areas on the left and right sides, but that is expected because of the more “square” aspect ratio of these devices.

To view the video on my smart TV, I purchased the Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter.  It does a fine job of mirroring what is on the iPad/iPhone screen.  But I am disappointed that it does not fill the 1920 x 1080 TV screen.  There are blank areas on all 4 sides of the video image.  If I use my laptop to display the movie using an HDMI cable and the laptop’s screen mirroring function, it fills the TV screen beautifully.  Is there any way to display the 1920 x 1080 movie full screen using the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter?  It seems like the mirroring of the iPad/iPhone screen (and its more square than 1920 x 1080 aspect ratio) is getting in the way of displaying this video optimally.  Is there any way around this?   I bought this Adapter so that I would not have to lug the laptop around to show this video on a bigger screen.  Sure, the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter will play the video, but not without the annoying blank areas on all 4 sides.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 2:40 PM

After getting smarter on this, allow me to post a reply to myself:

First, a correction, the blank areas on a 1920 x 1080 video when played on an iPhone or iPad are on the top and bottom, not the left and right sides as stated in my original post.

Good news, I’ve figured out that the “right” way to do this is to spend a little more and get the Apple TV device. Yes it is bigger, more expensive, and requires a power cord, but it plays my 1920 x 1080 video beautifully and full screen on the TV. I don’t know if the Apple TV allows screen mirroring, but that’s not what I needed. The Lightning to Digital AV does that well, but to show a larger group my 1920 x 1080 video I’ll be using the Apple TV. I love the remote, too.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Dmr_dave

After getting smarter on this, allow me to post a reply to myself:

First, a correction, the blank areas on a 1920 x 1080 video when played on an iPhone or iPad are on the top and bottom, not the left and right sides as stated in my original post.

Good news, I’ve figured out that the “right” way to do this is to spend a little more and get the Apple TV device. Yes it is bigger, more expensive, and requires a power cord, but it plays my 1920 x 1080 video beautifully and full screen on the TV. I don’t know if the Apple TV allows screen mirroring, but that’s not what I needed. The Lightning to Digital AV does that well, but to show a larger group my 1920 x 1080 video I’ll be using the Apple TV. I love the remote, too.

How can I play a 1920 x 1080 video full screen using the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.