Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.RW2 photos - unable to open or view as thumbnails

Hi,

I have a Panasonic GH-6 and when I shoot raw photos im unable to open them in Preview or see them as thumbnails.

Importing to Lightroom/Photoshop works fine.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Noam

(macOS Ventura 13.1 on mac studio max)

Mac Studio

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 7:38 AM

The GH5, GH5M2, and GH5S are supported in Ventura 13.1 but the GH6 is not. You can check the Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support page as it is a living document during the Ventura update lifecycle. When Ventura 13.2 is released, the GH6 may be added, or in future Ventura updates.

Only Apple and Panasonic know if, when, or the supported timeframe that the GH6 may receive camera RAW support.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 7:38 AM in response to noameshel

The GH5, GH5M2, and GH5S are supported in Ventura 13.1 but the GH6 is not. You can check the Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support page as it is a living document during the Ventura update lifecycle. When Ventura 13.2 is released, the GH6 may be added, or in future Ventura updates.

Only Apple and Panasonic know if, when, or the supported timeframe that the GH6 may receive camera RAW support.

Jan 23, 2023 7:10 AM in response to noameshel

noameshel wrote:

Hi,

I have a Panasonic GH-6 and when I shoot raw photos im unable to open them in Preview or see them as thumbnails.

Importing to Lightroom/Photoshop works fine.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Noam

(macOS Ventura 13.1 on mac studio max)

Old issue, new issue, what changed...(?)

Does not seem the .RW2 is supported

Mal-S wrote:

"A work-around is to set the camera up to take Raw+JPG images and you should then see the JPG in Preview"

ref: Panasonic RW2 Files - Apple Community

Jan 23, 2023 9:11 AM in response to noameshel

You could use the Adobe DNG Converter to convert the RAW files to DNG files, before you import them to Photos. You will still have the advantage of RAW processing, but a more compatible format.

But keep the original RAW files, just in case Apple will release RAW support for your great camera.

Not every Panasonic model will get RAW support from Apple. I love Panasonic cameras, but I have learned to wait, until the RAW support is out, before I buy a new camera, so I do not need to convert the RAW files to DNG.

It is has been now 11 month, since your camera model has been released. The camera should be supported by now, if Apple will support it at all.

Feb 19, 2023 4:51 PM in response to noameshel

Lumix G9 hour with support guy have to go to next level support ...most raw files seemed pink "corrupted" , some visible ...so freaking strange and very disappointing that such a basic stuff its not taken care of ....first try to expose to photoshop worked then without me doing anything, next edit with... photoshop is automatically converting to tiff .... ok individually importing from card in to Lightroom or photoshop works so again Mac is behind omg what a hipsterized company really I see so many mistakes only cause by overthinking lol but I forgot with Mac something new comes out ....you need to wait for year at least !!! I have the Mac 13 M1 ...list list of crap features and non working things ..it has power problem ..im not sure who came out with this but the person would get fired under me lol

.RW2 photos - unable to open or view as thumbnails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.