Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Window not formatted as it used to be

I have just updated to Venture and when I work in Mail the format of the window had changed to one I don't like. Mailboxes in panel on lhs of screen, my messages in date order in the central panel and the body of the email I have selected in the third largest panel. I prefer this top down rather than left to right but can't seem to find a way to reformat the window. Today I seemed to click on something within the mail window accidentally and the panel with the text of my selected email has disappeared and I now just have mail boxes and a list of my incoming mails in date order. I have to click on a message to open a new window in order to read it now and this is not very efficient. I read somewhere of other people having the same issue but not been offered a solution. Would love to go back to left hand side panel with inboxes etc, then a list of my mails at the top of the window in an expandable panel and below that a panel featuring the email I wish to read and respond to.

Thank you in anticipation of a simple fix that I am missing.

James

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 7:01 AM

It is a setting you can toggle easily. I am not at my mac now but I think that it is in the View menu and you can check or uncheck something about showing the preview on the side. I will look it up if necessary but I think this is enough for you to find it.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 23, 2023 7:00 AM in response to JHH123

JHH123 wrote:

I have just updated to Venture and when I work in Mail the format of the window had changed to one I don't like. Mailboxes in panel on lhs of screen, my messages in date order in the central panel and the body of the email I have selected in the third largest panel. I prefer this top down rather than left to right but can't seem to find a way to reformat the window. Today I seemed to click on something within the mail window accidentally and the panel with the text of my selected email has disappeared and I now just have mail boxes and a list of my incoming mails in date order. I have to click on a message to open a new window in order to read it now and this is not very efficient. I read somewhere of other people having the same issue but not been offered a solution. Would love to go back to left hand side panel with inboxes etc, then a list of my mails at the top of the window in an expandable panel and below that a panel featuring the email I wish to read and respond to.
Thank you in anticipation of a simple fix that I am missing.
James

Change the view to suit your preference

Mail>View>Use Column Layout

Mail Window not formatted as it used to be

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.