deleting blank emails with "untitled" written on the message tab

When Mail app is opened, the normal window is overlaid with a faded blank email message. It cannot be deleted using red button, menu delete commands, or any other tool that I can think of. I can minimize it with yellow button, but it reopens any time I give a command in Mail. Sometimes it shows up with a single tab that is untitled and some times the window shows up with 2, 3, or 4 email tabs and that are each labeled "Untitled". Cannot be deleted using the "x" on the tab, red button or menu commands.

Any ideas how to fix?????

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 11:16 AM

john1444 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not help. Problem remains.

If you are running any third party antivirus — try uninstalling

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

especially Avast security...and mail issues.

If no resolve try  SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 11:16 AM in response to john1444

john1444 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not help. Problem remains.

If you are running any third party antivirus — try uninstalling

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

especially Avast security...and mail issues.

If no resolve try  SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

Jun 28, 2023 12:03 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you. I was able to resolve the problem by turning off Malwarebytes program and rebooting. It appears to be the only third party antivirus or similar program on this computer.

Tested by closing Mail and reopening several times, also turned off and rebooted computer several times. Problem did not reappear.

As a further test, I turned Malwarebytes back on and tested with closing and reopening Mail and rebooting computer. Problem has not returned.

Jun 28, 2023 11:42 AM in response to john1444

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jun 27, 2023 7:56 PM in response to john1444

john1444 wrote:

When Mail app is opened, the normal window is overlaid with a faded blank email message. It cannot be deleted using red button, menu delete commands, or any other tool that I can think of. I can minimize it with yellow button, but it reopens any time I give a command in Mail. Sometimes it shows up with a single tab that is untitled and some times the window shows up with 2, 3, or 4 email tabs and that are each labeled "Untitled". Cannot be deleted using the "x" on the tab, red button or menu commands.

Any ideas how to fix?????

Try shutting mail down and relaunch it holding the Shift key.

Delete any emails stuck in Draft or Outbox.

Reboot again if necessary.

deleting blank emails with "untitled" written on the message tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.