Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete photos from my iCloud will they still be available on my MacBook Pro?

I want to clear my whole iCloud, as I have all my photos backed up on an external hard drive too, but I'm worried it will wipe all my photos on the Photos app of my MacBook. Are they linked? I noticed when I delete something from the Photos app that the same picture isn't deleted in the iCloud, so they're not at all synchronised and quite frankly a mess. Could someone shed some light on this please?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 10:15 AM

Wether they are linked or not, depends on one specific setting.

On a Mac open the Photos App, click on the Photos Menu, then on Settings, and then on the iCloud Tab.

If the iCloud Photos setting is checked, then they are linked, and deleting from iCloud will delete from the Mac.

You can uncheck it, so anything you delete from iCloud is not deleted from the Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 10:15 AM in response to ibw1505

Wether they are linked or not, depends on one specific setting.

On a Mac open the Photos App, click on the Photos Menu, then on Settings, and then on the iCloud Tab.

If the iCloud Photos setting is checked, then they are linked, and deleting from iCloud will delete from the Mac.

You can uncheck it, so anything you delete from iCloud is not deleted from the Mac.

If I delete photos from my iCloud will they still be available on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.