Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

zsh: permission denied

Hi - I am having the following issue. I am on an M1 Ventura MBP. I have a folder on my desktop and when I drag and drop in Terminal I get a "zsh: permission denied: /Users/tomek/Desktop/Python". I also tried Sudo ... to no effect.

I would be most grateful for any support. None of the solutions on the net work for me. Really weird ...

P.S.: I am not a developer, no Homebrew, no CleanMyMac. I only have Bitdefender AV.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 9:59 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 23, 2023 10:58 AM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

Tomek. wrote:
P.S.: I am not a developer, no Homebrew, no CleanMyMac. I only have Bitdefender AV.

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

A/V apps have been shown to interfere with a number of system and application features. With the systems getting more sophisticated their effect is getting more invasive.

It's totally not needed and should be removed according to the developer;s instructions.

Jan 23, 2023 2:51 PM in response to Tomek.

Tomek. wrote:

Yes try to get Python to work for me. More specifically this one https://github.com/lightflix/firevue. And its not working really for me ... due to the "permission denied" issue. I think.

You are misreading those instructions. I will provide a few edits for you.

Requirements

1) Download Python 3 from https://python.org and install it

Steps to run this code

1) Move the firevue.py file in any new directory (folder). This could be anywhere on the system.

9) In Terminal, move to the folder where you saved the firevue.py file. For example, if you saved the file to /Users/tomek/Desktop/Python, you would type "cd /Users/tomek/Desktop/Python" (without the quotes).

2. I don't have Python installed. How do I install it?

MacOS users: Download Python 3 from https://python.org and install it

Just so you know, you have approximately 0% chance that this thing works, whatever it is.

Jan 23, 2023 10:53 AM in response to Tomek.

Tomek. wrote:

Hi - I am having the following issue. I am on an M1 Ventura MBP. I have a folder on my desktop and when I drag and drop in Terminal I get a "zsh: permission denied: /Users/tomek/Desktop/Python". I also tried Sudo ... to no effect.

I would be most grateful for any support. None of the solutions on the net work for me. Really weird ...

I see now — starting your own thread. Good idea — I'll let the experts jump in.

Jan 23, 2023 10:58 AM in response to Tomek.

Can you explain what you are trying to do at a high level?

Apparently, that folder on your desktop is named "Python". I assume it contains a version of the Python interpreter?

Normally, if someone wants to run a python script somewhere, they first have a python script somewhere.

This person must also have a Python interpreter installed. The best place to get a Python interpreter would be https://www.python.org/

Once Python is installed, then you can run Python on the command line with something like this:

python3 (and then press enter)

If you have a Python script you want to execute, you can type:

python3 /path/to/your/script (and then press enter)

zsh: permission denied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.