Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Black windows in Safari and Mail in Ventura OS

Recently I have been seeing the contents of my Safari tabs and Mail windows turn black (and unreadable). I have a lot of windows open in each of the applications. Windows that were previously opened seem ok, but new ones turn black quickly, or open that way. The little window previews on Safari tabs show what the windows are supposed to look like, but nonetheless the contents of the actual tabs are black. Similarly, email messages that were already open are ok, but new ones I open are entirely black. I've only had this problem since updating to Ventura (MacOS 13.1) a month or so ago. I'm using a MacBook Pro with an Apple M1 Pro chip and 32 GB of memory.

I don't have this problem when I use the Chrome browser, but I also don't have nearly as many windows and tabs open in that.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 4:27 PM

Same but different. I do get the black windows, so kind of GPU mishap, likely not handling the fragments each window so some times I'd see only part of the window MIA. However I have a similar bug which turns my windows magenta. This rarely happens unless I have AppleTV+.

The instance of this image in Photos crashes the app. I had to eventually just t take a snapshot with the phone.

So, the Mac will have a backing store as a series of small fragments on a visibility chain for each window that will naturally render it faster than just entire windows. I suspect that something is sending it looking towards other and wrong memory. There may be a test color used to pick out these things, as I use magenta for highlighting something that's not supposed to be right. But then how does ti corrupt an actual image itself, unless its maintaining the same memory map internally, but at some point of the bad pointers will cause a crash.

And I have Photos hanging instead of crashing one trying to display another one. The only way to get out of this is to reboot. Simply killing it and relaunching fails as it is automatically launching with that image.

This frequently is accompaied with a lot of bad video stuff, Windows flickering and the such. I was able to get a video to Apple about this but have heard nothing from them.

Similar questions

102 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 4:27 PM in response to Caleco

Same but different. I do get the black windows, so kind of GPU mishap, likely not handling the fragments each window so some times I'd see only part of the window MIA. However I have a similar bug which turns my windows magenta. This rarely happens unless I have AppleTV+.

The instance of this image in Photos crashes the app. I had to eventually just t take a snapshot with the phone.

So, the Mac will have a backing store as a series of small fragments on a visibility chain for each window that will naturally render it faster than just entire windows. I suspect that something is sending it looking towards other and wrong memory. There may be a test color used to pick out these things, as I use magenta for highlighting something that's not supposed to be right. But then how does ti corrupt an actual image itself, unless its maintaining the same memory map internally, but at some point of the bad pointers will cause a crash.

And I have Photos hanging instead of crashing one trying to display another one. The only way to get out of this is to reboot. Simply killing it and relaunching fails as it is automatically launching with that image.

This frequently is accompaied with a lot of bad video stuff, Windows flickering and the such. I was able to get a video to Apple about this but have heard nothing from them.

Oct 14, 2023 3:44 PM in response to Caleco

I described the massive problems I had about two weeks ago here … I did not change ANYTHING but simply stopped using Safari. This was the key here – EVERYTHING really works fine, no reboots, no problems, no black or pink windows anymore! All my apps including Mail work perfectly fine, no issues at all since abandoning Safari!!! (Using Chrome now) Did not reboot my MacBook since two weeks+! I am more than happy to have found my needle in the haystack!

(Mac Book Pro, M1, Ventura 13.6)

Mar 9, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Caleco

I forgot to include my hardware & software setup:

I'm running on a M1 Max with 64GB ram. Like you I have a LOT of windows open in Safari. I would estimate ~75 windows, each with multiple tabs. I could easily have 300+ tabs open. I only have a handful (literally 5 at the moment) of windows open in Mail.

For me, it definitely seems to be safari that trips things up. If I reboot the computer and don't launch Safari, everything seems to run fine. Once I launch Safari, however, glitches start appearing in Safari and certain other applications.

This all worked fine in Monterey, but clearly something has changed in Ventura.

Like you, I've also found that rebooting can improve things for a while, but not always. Sometimes the problem recurs immediately after reboot. I did try reinstalling the OS. For a few hours it seemed like this might have helped, but then the issue reappeared.

You mentioned that you rarely use maps, but I'm curious if you've noticed impacts in other applications? Once this problem is triggered (seemingly by Safari) I've seen weird graphical anomalies in everything from the Finder to Microsoft Excel. I've resorted to a 2-computer setup: doing most of my work on the MacBook Pro, while using a MacBook Air for web browsing...

Somewhat amusing (while also being massively irritating). Safari had been working for a while when I first attempted to search for solutions to this issue, but this happened:

Oct 16, 2023 6:51 AM in response to riviera00

I had a two calls with Apple support. I took the following actions: (1) I gave them a detailed report of the issues I have been encountering and also passed to them the link of this discussion thread; (2) I demonstrated them (via screen sharing) the issues at real-time. From their side, they asked me to run diagnostics to check the h/w and then suggested to install Sonora. If that doesn't fix the problems, then I will have a follow-up call. I am currently waiting for the opportunity to install the new OS.

Jul 15, 2023 5:57 AM in response to Caleco

In another thread on this same problem, someone suggested to run the maintenance tasks of Onyx. This makes sense, because a friend of mine claimed to have solved the problem by aggressively clearing caches and removing non-essential application support files. But that is a very time consuming (and error-prone) process. Onyx maintenance does something similar.

I ran Onyx maintenance tasks (for Ventura) and, so far, the problem hasn't reared its ugly head again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

May 7, 2023 6:19 AM in response to RESims

Seeing it for the first time yesterday. All-black windows in some Safari and Mail.app windows; sometimes resizing makes the contents come back. Sometimes certain elements of the window contents reappear against a black page background.

Just launched Maps.app to check based on another post: Yep, Maps.app too.

16" 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max - 64GB ram - Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

I do have quite a few windows and tabs open in Safari, but I have certainly had many more in the past without this issue so I don't think it is directly correlated to that. My memory pressure isn't high.

I do have two of the three possible suspects on a previous poster's list:

Al Dente (battery life management)

OWC Dock Ejector (for my Thunderbolt Dock)

I'll add another: AppTamer

The system log shows some entries referencing webkit GPU from AppTamer (a third-party app that can keep troublesome processes from hogging the CPU):

debug 09:12:23.740250-0400 App Tamer found no value for key com.apple.WebKit.GPU in CFPrefsSearchListSource<0x60000004ca00> (Domain: com.stclairsoft.AppTamer, Container: (null))

I also saw some console entires from runningboardd:

debug 09:12:19.054094-0400 runningboardd > xpcservice<com.apple.WebKit.GPU([app<application.com.apple.Safari.201078.201507(501)>:1473])(501)>:1925 ['GPUProcess Foreground Assertion'] [175-1473-1919]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with another poster that particularly the correlation with HTML content in Mail.app indicates a webkit-rendering related issue, although it could just be that Webkit is triggering some sort GPU bug.

Jul 11, 2023 9:27 AM in response to orindad

MacBook Pro M1 Max - 64GB - Ventura 13.4.1

Thanks for posting this.

I have the exact same issue. I initially did a clean installation and installed the bare minimum apps that I used in my old Macbook Pro. Since the problem persisted, I then went to the Apple store and they did a firmware update, reinstalled macOS again, but that didn't resolve the issue.

As an example, see the attached Safari screenshots. I tried to open this post with Safari and Brave :) I am also posting some other webpages I opened with Safari.

I honestly don't understand why Apple is ignoring this obvious issue with OS/Safari. Restarting one's laptop should not be the "remedy" when it comes to a $6K laptop.

Jul 22, 2023 7:54 PM in response to bredelet

Frustrated here as well. I'm a scientist and this flares has flared at extremely inopportune times.

2021 14" MBP, 32 Gb RAM, Ventura 13.4.1. I do sometimes use an external screen but this happens even after a fresh boot without it. Yes, many windows open in Safari, and Mail open. I don't use Maps, though (ironically) when I logged in here to comment (in Chrome for obvious reasons) the security window showing the Map of suspicious login was black. Mail sometimes seems to stop allowing me to type, but my typing is actually happening (just not displaying) as others have reported. I'm always in Dark mode.

I use two additional Macs, both Intel, a 15" MBP and a Mini, that don't experience this issue.

Black windows in Safari and Mail in Ventura OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.