Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Updates to iOS Delayed by Months

I have automatic updates turned on.

"Download iOS Updates," "Install iOS Updates," and "Security Responses & System Files" are all toggled on.

I charge my phone — and keep it connected to wifi — all night every night, so it's not like there isn't ample opportunity for my OS to update automatically.

And yet, my iPhone 14 Pro is still on iOS 16.1.1.

It didn't automatically update to iOS 16.1.2 (released 54 days ago) or 16.2 (released 41 days ago) by the time 16.3 was released today.

When I go to Software Update, in the Settings app, it always shows the latest version, and gives me the option to "Download and Install" — but I'd rather let automatic updates update my OS automatically (because I'm not comfortable being an early adopter, and I'd rather not have to think about it), as long as automatic updates are working as designed.

I understand that Apple rolls out automatic updates, often a number of weeks after they're released, but it seems weird to me that my iPhone hasn't updated its OS in more than 54 days.

Is this normal, or does my iPhone seem to be suffering from a bug?

What's been the experience of other people who have automatic updates turned on, since the release of 16.1.2?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 12:59 PM

Hey moskovit,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you have your settings correct and that automatic updates should be installed. As mentioned in the following section of Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, some updates may need to be installed manually.

"Turn on automatic updates

1. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. Tap Automatic Updates, then turn on Download iOS Updates.
  3. Turn on Install iOS Updates. Your device will automatically update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Some updates might need to be installed manually."

It sounds like you may be familiar with manual updates but if needed, reference Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support as well.

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 12:59 PM in response to moskovit

Hey moskovit,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you have your settings correct and that automatic updates should be installed. As mentioned in the following section of Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, some updates may need to be installed manually.

"Turn on automatic updates

1. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. Tap Automatic Updates, then turn on Download iOS Updates.
  3. Turn on Install iOS Updates. Your device will automatically update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Some updates might need to be installed manually."

It sounds like you may be familiar with manual updates but if needed, reference Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support as well.

Take care.

Automatic Updates to iOS Delayed by Months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.