Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Size of recorded videos

I recorded some videos recently, using command-shift-5 on my Mac, and I realized that the file size is massive; hundreds of megabytes. These videos are three minutes maximum. I am sure something is not right about this. I need to put them on my Samsung phone, but they must be much smaller before I do this. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

The files are saved as .mov files and open in QuickTime Player.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 4:17 AM

Is this a full screen recording? If you only need to record a portion of your screen, the size will be smaller.

You can convert the files using Quicktime Player or directly in the Finder, and choose a smaller size:

control-click, choose Services->Encode Selected Video Files... and then choose, say, H.264 720p; or, if your phone supports HEVC, choose that for smaller files of comparable quality.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 4:17 AM in response to Alice-Charlotte

Is this a full screen recording? If you only need to record a portion of your screen, the size will be smaller.

You can convert the files using Quicktime Player or directly in the Finder, and choose a smaller size:

control-click, choose Services->Encode Selected Video Files... and then choose, say, H.264 720p; or, if your phone supports HEVC, choose that for smaller files of comparable quality.

Size of recorded videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.