Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Retina 15” 2015 Battery, what do, where to buy?

Hello,

I have my MacBook Pro 2015 Retina 15” and I need a battery replacement for it.

I saw that Apple can replace the battery on this model despite it’s been not supposed any more software wise.

The price is OUTRAGEOUS, $200 and from my understanding this is not including the price of the battery itself.

and even if it is $200 for everything, it is still a LOT!

This is a 8 year old laptop, and it cost about the same as this Apple battery replacement…

Is there a way to buy just the battery from apple ? I can install it myself for free.

Thanls

ps

I know I will get some sort of “smart” answer from someone in Apple, how it is very hard to install and installing it outside of Apple can result in issues with QC… blah blah…

Well maybe you should not charge a mortgage for a simple battery swipe, and this is a company that is worth $2.368 Trillion.

Shame on you Apple!

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 5:47 AM

Apple does not sell parts for most of their devices. For this battery, to the best of my knowledge, they sell the installed battery, ONLY.

NuPower batteries sold by OWC/MacSales are the only third-party batteries we see recommended here.

How's your keyboard holding up? the Apple repair includes a replacement keyboard, trackpad and top plate.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 5:47 AM in response to vitali257

Apple does not sell parts for most of their devices. For this battery, to the best of my knowledge, they sell the installed battery, ONLY.

NuPower batteries sold by OWC/MacSales are the only third-party batteries we see recommended here.

How's your keyboard holding up? the Apple repair includes a replacement keyboard, trackpad and top plate.

Jan 24, 2023 5:53 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yeah, apple does that…

Well, since you asked, I have a mint condition MBP15 dual GPU 2015 Retina, everything is like I just opened sealed Mac , the battery is not great, still holds 4 hours but was trying to see if apple will sell me one.

And yes, apple will replace the whole bottom case and not just battery!

WTF ? Sustainability?

but hey, no charger for your iPhone no more!

Jan 24, 2023 5:07 AM in response to vitali257

I do not work for or speak for Apple.

We just had such a battery replaced in that same model, and it was completely without issue. I would do it again (if needed) in a heartbeat.

The price of these Lithium Polymer batteries has not been falling generally.

About US$200 is the price of a genuine Apple battery, installed, with no surprise add-ons. Like all Apple repairs, they warrant the repair for any problems for 90 days.

The procedure is complex because the battery is glued to the assembly which contains it, the battery-keyboard-trackpad-topPlate assembly, which is the part that will be replace by Apple.

For maybe half that price you can obtain a battery that works badly for a month or two, then dies. You can obtain such batteries from multiple sources. During the do it yourself process, you can easily damage internal connectors and cause other parts to fail while you replace it yourself.

¿are you in the battery replacement business, or do you want your computer back in your hands, working without drama?

Jan 24, 2023 5:45 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for this information, I am a private citizen and do have above average knowledge of hardware for Mac products ( 2010 -2015 ).

I have fixed multiple MacBooks which included screen replacement, HD to Ssd swipes, motherboard replacement, thermal paste renewal and, YES, at least 5 battery swipes on 13” and 15” Retinas ( battery glued, THANKS APPLE) could just use couple tiny screws like on Air!

I would say I know what I am doing when it come to the models above.

I just want to get the battery, pay for it, and install it by myself.

Is this possible?

If so, where can I buy OEM battery?

Every other after market battery is crap, like you said.

Thank you

Jan 24, 2023 12:17 PM in response to vitali257

<< I wish someone from Apple would comment on that… >>

That will NOT be happening here. This is the Apple User-to-User Support Community. Apple is not monitoring these forums, except to ensure civility and provide answers to posts that go completely un-answered.

There are no standard mechanisms for escalating problems to Apple Support from here, and Apple Engineering and Marketing Movers and Shakers do NOT monitor these forums looking for trends and outstanding issues. If other users can not help you think of a fix, No further help is likely to be forthcoming using this medium. 

--------

The best available solution for battery problems on a 2015 MacBook Pro continues to be Apple battery replacement SERVICE. When the alternatives are ALL Awful (regardless of saving some money), the slightly-higher price you may feel you have to pay becomes a little less awful.

MBP Retina 15” 2015 Battery, what do, where to buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.