Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Favicons gone in Safari

I just updated Safari to v16.3 running in MacOS 11.7.3

Safari no longer displays any favicons in the URL field.

Also, the favicons have disappeared from my start page.

I tried deleting the Favicon Cache but that does nothing. Restarting Safari does nothing either.

Is this a known issue?

Has Safari done away with favicons?

I'd appreciate any help....

Mac mini, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 9:33 AM

How does something this basic get messed up ?

Similar questions

31 replies

Feb 11, 2023 9:11 PM in response to Colin Shapiro

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME CONTACTING APPLE NOR SEARCHING WEB FOR A SAFARI / FAVICON SOLUTION!!! IT DOES NOT EXIST.

TO WHIT: Updated to Big Sur and immediately lost favicons on Safari Startpage. Also lost a couple of site links as "favorites." Have spent a few hours with AppleCare to no avail as all of the Apple Care folks are stumped re this issue. Per AppleCare instructions: Have cleared safari favicon cache, reinstalled Big Sur OS, deleted safari history.... reviewed all preferences / settings... nothing solves the favicon issue. At this point I'm calling this an Apple fail and it's on them to fix whatever is causing this annoying disruption. We all paid premium prices to have a reliable premium product and this bug is unacceptably ridiculous.

Jan 24, 2023 9:15 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro wrote:

I just updated Safari to v16.3 running in MacOS 11.7.3

I tried deleting the Favicon Cache but that does nothing. Restarting Safari does nothing either.

Experienced the same symptoms after updating. Screenshot provided:

FWIW I have not deleted any cache, but have restarted both Safari, and the computer without resolution. I also accomplished a Safe Mode start without improvement.

Feb 13, 2023 10:47 PM in response to Colin Shapiro

I just installed the latest update vom Feb 13, for Safari "still called 16.3". Than cleared the history emptied the Favicon Cache and restart the system. After reboot, in the first moment I can see some of the "gone icons" in my favorite folder. After a while all icons disappear again, no change in overall behavior. Very disappointing, expecting Apple will not finally fix this problem, leave the users behind and shifts to Ventura.

Feb 17, 2023 8:31 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

I just updated Safari to Version 16.3.1 (16614.4.6.11.7, 16614) running in MacOS 11.7.4

Previous Safari update already solve favicons problem and it come back after the latest update today 17-FEB-2023

How do i get back the old update

Feb 17, 2023 9:40 AM in response to K0jek

No chance to get back the old update without complete reinstallation, apple updates are oneway solutions.

You can try to clear the FavIcons Cache, navigate to this folder within the finder "SHIFT COMMAND G" ~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/ delete the 4 files and the favicons folder. Double check to be in the right folder before you delete the files. Next Clear the complete history in safari and reboot your mac. Maybe the will solve the problem

Favicons gone in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.