Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound distortion when playing a music file through Itunes on PC, but nowhere else.

I've had this problem for a while and haven't found a way to resolve it as of yet. I have a few albums of video game soundtracks that I haven't found elsewhere for purchase, and they behave strangely when attempting to import them to itunes for PC. They appear to import just fine and are renamable, editable, everything, but when playing the music there is a significant amount of garbling of the audio. This is strange because it only occurs on pc, not on my Iphone. Outside of Itunes it also plays just fine, which leads me to believe that these files might have some strange artifact from being ripped from a video game. Perhaps there's a sound frequency that isn't being used or something, but that is just speculation from what data Itunes shows me. If there was an option to share one of the problematic song files here I would.

Thanks for your time

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 10:44 AM

I did some more research on the topic and actually figured it out, it is the sample rate of the media I've used. If it is below 44kHz, Itunes doesn't recognize it properly and bugs out. To fix this, I used a program called WavePad from NCH software to batch convert my files to another sample rate (anything higher than 44kHz should do). I hope this helps for anyone who had this issue as well, I've dealt with it for years without figuring it out, so good luck!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 10:44 AM in response to Bee1352

I did some more research on the topic and actually figured it out, it is the sample rate of the media I've used. If it is below 44kHz, Itunes doesn't recognize it properly and bugs out. To fix this, I used a program called WavePad from NCH software to batch convert my files to another sample rate (anything higher than 44kHz should do). I hope this helps for anyone who had this issue as well, I've dealt with it for years without figuring it out, so good luck!

Jan 26, 2023 9:20 AM in response to Bee1352

Hi Bee1352,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that the audio from iTunes, it doesn't sound correct, but the audio is clear on other devices.

You can adjust the Playback preferences in iTunes to help determine if this will impact the quality of the audio being played as outlined here: Change Playback preferences in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

"In the iTunes app  on your PC, use the Playback pane of iTunes preferences to choose how to fade songs in and out, change music sound quality during playback, and more.

To change these preferences, choose Edit > Preferences, then click Playback."

If the audio didn't originate from the iTunes Store, we'd suggest that you contact Microsoft directly for help if you're unable to resolve this behavior via iTunes preferences. They'd be best suited to help. You can find their contact details here: Microsoft Support

Take care!

Sound distortion when playing a music file through Itunes on PC, but nowhere else.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.