Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move a video over a mask in Final Cut Pro

Hello, my name is Caden and I am struggling here. I've just switched over from Premiere Pro over to Final Cut Pro X, and I am struggling with the masking system. More specifically, trying to move a video while a mask is over it.

What I mean is, I want to be able to move my video anywhere while my mask stays in the same spot. So the video's position moves while the mask doesn't.

And just a heads up, I am not a professional in this type of software or certified (though I am with PhotoShop). I'm just a hobbyists.

Thank you and have a good day,

-Caden

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 6:24 PM

I'm not sure I understand your purpose for doing so, but what you can do to create a "stationary" mask is apply it to what people normally refer to as an "Adjustment Layer". I'm sure you can find one (free) easily. If you have Motion, simply create a new Title template, delete the default text and save as Adjustment Layer (more accurately, it's a Clone Layer - which a photoshop user would understand better.) It will automatically be published to Final Cut (pay attention to the Category option when saving so you can place it and find it in a logical place.)

Clone Layers affect *everything* below them, so if you have media clips and other titles or generators underneath the Clone's level, they will all be accumulated into the Clone.

HTH

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 6:24 PM in response to Caden_Woodworth

I'm not sure I understand your purpose for doing so, but what you can do to create a "stationary" mask is apply it to what people normally refer to as an "Adjustment Layer". I'm sure you can find one (free) easily. If you have Motion, simply create a new Title template, delete the default text and save as Adjustment Layer (more accurately, it's a Clone Layer - which a photoshop user would understand better.) It will automatically be published to Final Cut (pay attention to the Category option when saving so you can place it and find it in a logical place.)

Clone Layers affect *everything* below them, so if you have media clips and other titles or generators underneath the Clone's level, they will all be accumulated into the Clone.

HTH

Jan 24, 2023 6:32 PM in response to fox_m

My reason for doing so is that I'm putting my friend's mouth over a doll to make it look like the doll is talking, but her head keeps moving (yes... the video is going to be weird but that's the point). Premiere Pro was a lot easily with that since I can always see the key frames on a video/audio layer.

But your explanation makes since, but I'm running on the free-trial for Final Cut Pro. Is there anyway to create a new title layer and create a clone layer from Final Cut, or do I have to purchase Motion?

Jan 24, 2023 6:56 PM in response to Caden_Woodworth

You don't have to purchase Motion!

You can download "Clone Layer" here:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/?smd_process_download=1&download_id=24013

You need to go into your Home folder. You'll find a Movies folder.

You will need to go into Movies and create a folder called (exactly) Motion Templates.localized.

When you type Return after naming Motion Templates, the ".localized" part will likely disappear -- that's normal.

Open the Motion Templates folder and create a new folder called Titles.localized.

Open Titles, and create another new folder. This will be the Category name of the content inside. You can name it anything you like — try Editing Assistants.

Inside the category folder, place the Entire Clone Layer folder inside.

It should be available in Final Cut Titles Browser as soon as you finish installing it. (If you run into trouble, let me know.)

Jan 24, 2023 7:17 PM in response to fox_m

Ohh okay, I was able to do it and it works! They should really make that a default preset; I named it "Mask Stabilization." But my anti-psychic medication (prescribed) is starting to kick in and I'm getting tired, so that I don't fall asleep at my desk I'll play with it more tomorrow. I just wanted to say thank you so much for going through the lengths for helping me!

Have a great rest of your day,

-Caden W.

How to move a video over a mask in Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.