Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd Generation 4K Apple TV will not display on Samsung TV

My new 3rd generation Apple TV 4K will not send to the Samsung TV through a long HMDI cable from the closet to the TV, yet my old Apple TV works fine. All I get is a black screen when I select the input for the new Apple TV. If I put the old Apple TV on the same input, it works fine. Is there a limit on the length of the cable for new Apple TVs? I cannot change the cable since it is run through the wall to the TV.

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 7:56 AM

6 replies

Jan 26, 2023 4:51 PM in response to VanfromNorthAugusta

Hello VanfromNorthAugusta,

We are not aware of any cable limit, but there could be an issue with the cable's ability to carry the 4K signal.

If you access to another known-good cable, you could try the Samsung TV and your new Apple TV 4K to see if you get the same results. If so, follow the steps here, which are geared toward the black screen: If your Apple TV doesn't turn on or shows a black screen - Apple Support

1. "Unplug both ends of the HDMI cable, then firmly plug them back in. Or try using a different HDMI cable to see if the cable causes the issue. For HDMI 2.1, use an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable. For HDMI 2.0, use a Premium High Speed cable. Then in the TV menu, make sure that you select the HDMI input that matches the HDMI port connected to the Apple TV. 
  2. Unplug your TV and your Apple TV from power, then plug both back in.
  3. Try a different HDMI port on your TV, starting with HDMI 1 or Input 1. Check your TV manual for further assistance. 
  4. If you're using a receiver or an HDMI switch, one of these might be the issue. Connect your Apple TV directly to the TV instead of using the receiver or HDMI switch. If the Apple TV Home Screen now appears, connect your receiver or HDMI switch one at a time. After each additional device is connected, check that the Home Screen still appears on your TV. Check your receiver manual for further assistance. 
  5. If the Apple logo appears and then a black screen, press and hold the Back button and Volume Down button for 6 seconds, then release. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit."

If you still have questions, reach out to Apple Support directly, as this may require closer guidance: Get Support

Cheers!

Feb 3, 2023 12:05 PM in response to Brittany1416

I believe I have solved the problem following your earlier suggestion and it is in the cable. I found online that the early Apple TVs use a regular HDMI cable, but the 4K series of Apple TV requires a HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable. I purchased a 2015 Apple TV HD 4th generation, which is the last one listed for a standard HMDI cable. I hooked it up and it immediately went to the TV through the cable in the wall, where as the 2022 Apple TV 4K still would not. It may still be length, as the 4K Apple TV works when plugged directly into any other TV in my home using a regular HDMI cable. Either way, I am back in business with all Apple TVs. I prefer the newer remote and ease of operation of the 4K version, but even the HD remote on this 4th generation is better than my original 2nd generation Apple TV. Thanks for working with me on this issue.

Jan 29, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Lager1

Thank you for the information, but I was not able to make it work. Even when I connected the 4K Apple TV directly to the cable going through the wall to the TV, it would not work. I occasionally get a "no signal" error message when it is connected. However, if I reconnect the old Apple TV using the same cords, it immediately connects. The 4K works when connected directly to any other TV in the house, or a monitor but not to the one with the cable going through the wall. I cannot access the back of the TV that does not work since it is mounted on the wall and has the cable going to it. I would have to assume the lack of working of the 4K Apple TV has something either with the length of the cable, or the type cable. I appreciate your help.

Jan 29, 2023 3:53 PM in response to VanfromNorthAugusta

Hello VanfromNorthAugusta,

We appreciate the update! You mentioned that the Apple TV 4K works when plugged into other TVs around the house, just to confirm, are you using a different type of cable when connecting? For example, in the previous post it was mentioned that you'd want to use an HDMI 2.1 cable. Do you know if the one you are testing with is suitable?

This can help give some insight into what may be occurring. If the cable ran through the wall isn't compatible with your new Apple TV 4K, this would explain why it works with the older Apple TV and not with the new one.

In addition, we'd recommend ensuring there are no firmware updates for your TV. You can use the link here to reach out to Samsung if you're not sure how to locate that: Samsung Help - Contact Us

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2023 7:14 PM in response to ManJor

Thank you for the ideas. The TV is a 4K Samsung UN65JU6500FXZA and software is up to date. The cable was installed new in 2016, but I have no way to know what type of cable is in the wall, or what are these other cables that I am using. The only marking on the cables is "HMDI" on the ends. I think we have hit a dead end. Thanks for trying.

3rd Generation 4K Apple TV will not display on Samsung TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.