Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to eject a disc that won't read from Macbook

I own a secondhand MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) and had no issue with placing my dvd inside of my disk player. However it wouldn't read and all I got was an empty file in my finder with the title "Remote Disk". I kept using the eject option and followed tips such as the command E method, holding down the button after the reset chime, drutil eject command and using a piece of paper to try and get it out but all have failed. Are there any other options before I send it off to get fixed?

Windows

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 12:45 PM

yasminleticia wrote:

I own a secondhand MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) and had no issue with placing my dvd inside of my disk player. However it wouldn't read and all I got was an empty file in my finder with the title "Remote Disk". I kept using the eject option and followed tips such as the command E method, holding down the button after the reset chime, drutil eject command and using a piece of paper to try and get it out but all have failed. Are there any other options before I send it off to get fixed?

It sounds like you covered many options—

here is my list:

-dragging and dropping the icon for the CD into your trashcan

- Restart the computer and after the chime (older computers) press and hold down the left mouse button until the disc ejects.

- Press the Eject/Esc button on your keyboard.

- Click on the Eject button in the menubar, Finder>File>Eject

- Press Command E

- Open the Terminal application in your Applications/Utilities folder. copy & paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If all this fails then try this:

- Boot the computer into single user mode (hold down Command S through the boot process)—

at the prompt copy & paste:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

Restart the computer enter reboot at the prompt or shutdown

- restarting hold down the trackpad button

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 12:45 PM in response to yasminleticia

yasminleticia wrote:

It sounds like you covered many options—

here is my list:

-dragging and dropping the icon for the CD into your trashcan

- Restart the computer and after the chime (older computers) press and hold down the left mouse button until the disc ejects.

- Press the Eject/Esc button on your keyboard.

- Click on the Eject button in the menubar, Finder>File>Eject

- Press Command E

- Open the Terminal application in your Applications/Utilities folder. copy & paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If all this fails then try this:

- Boot the computer into single user mode (hold down Command S through the boot process)—

at the prompt copy & paste:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

Restart the computer enter reboot at the prompt or shutdown

- restarting hold down the trackpad button

How to eject a disc that won't read from Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.