Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Time Machine to back up both my MacBook internal drive and my external hard disk....currently only internal drive is showing and no way to add external as it does not appear anywhere during the process or settings..?

Can I use Time Machine to back up both my MacBook internal drive and my external hard disk....currently only internal drive is showing and no way to add external as it does not appear anywhere during the process or settings..?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 4:50 PM

In that case, it should already be being included in your Time machine Backups automatically, unless it appears on Time machine's exclude list. You don't have to specify it separately, Time machine backs up your Mac, including all Mounted MacOS drives.

Time Machine is tightly integrated into MacOS so that it can have the access needed to perform backups of everything.

To examine and restore from those backups, you use Time Machine.app (not to be confused with Time machine Preference pane):

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 4:50 PM in response to the_hkbaileys

In that case, it should already be being included in your Time machine Backups automatically, unless it appears on Time machine's exclude list. You don't have to specify it separately, Time machine backs up your Mac, including all Mounted MacOS drives.

Time Machine is tightly integrated into MacOS so that it can have the access needed to perform backups of everything.

To examine and restore from those backups, you use Time Machine.app (not to be confused with Time machine Preference pane):

Jan 25, 2023 9:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Brilliant....as I am not an expert or even intermediate user, did not think to check what was actually being backed up......just went with what some people told me and assumed (key part being the first 3 letters.....duh!).....thanks for steering me to the answer.....! Very much appreciated as I was going to spend money to get a backup system so I could get the external covered....!!!! Cheers, Neil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.