You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pinch to Crop Wallpaper... still not working

This looks like it has been a problem for a while. My wallpaper had changed on its own, not sure what happened. I dug up the photo I've used for years on my iphones and when I try to 'pinch to crop' it simply doesn't work. It just reverts back to its full size. Any ideas?

I'm using most current software.

iPhone 13

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 6:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 6:27 AM

Pinch to crop does not work on wallpaper. I just updated my iPhone 14 pro max. When I pinch to crop and release my two fingers, the photo goes right back to full screen.

33 replies

Jun 25, 2023 8:24 AM in response to stanbudbea67

Not at all. This is incredible simple and basic. The fact that we have to ask for that is mind blowing. Why even have a feature that automatically zooms in when it’s not asked for. I want the ENTIRE picture on my wallpaper not a section. Why not put the option to turn the zoom OFF or actually make it customizable so I’m not forced to zoom in on a portion of a picture?? Unreal

Mar 13, 2023 1:43 PM in response to Mrsalesco46

Thank you for bringing up this issue and would like to add to this thread - when my photo opens in the Photo app, it fits in the phone's screen nicely. When chosen as a wallpaper on lock screen or otherwise, it enlarges and the pinch to crop may bring it back to normal size (after many attempts) or keeps it too large to use. Ultimately I would like to 'pinch to crop' to make the image(as seen in the photo app) a bit smaller so it fits in line with or under the clock or other lock screen widgets.

Thanks - look forward to a solution if its out there!

Jan 28, 2023 9:16 AM in response to Smorticula

Hey there Smorticula,

We'd like to help answer your two questions about the wallpaper as best we can. Let's start with ruling out some possible causes to what's happening, along with confirming more details to better understand what you're asking:

1. What exactly did you mean by the wallpaper 'changed on its own'? The more details you provide, the better we'll understand what you meant.
  2. Reading the Pinch to Crop feature when customizing your wallpaper, you mentioned it's 'not working', but what exactly occurs when you try pinching both ways(inwards and outwards)? We're trying to determine what exactly doesn't work when you try this, or does it not respond whatsoever when you pinch it either way?
  3. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart: Restart your iPhone
  4. Since you have a compatible iPhone model, the latest version is iOS 16.3. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update your iPhone or iPad.

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2023 1:54 AM in response to Mikelhunter

Yes, it does work for me. I just set up a new one this month.  It is difficult though and there is another problem: If you want it to overlay the date etc you just have to be lucky because it almost never will do this. One poster said that if the original was a .JPG it would work (overlay the date etc and really look good) but that doesn't actually help.  There seems to be something to his suggestion though because it has worked in a couple of cases for me. I just can't tell what characteristics of the original are needed.

Someone else said this is 'fixed' in iOS17 but it's much too early for me to update to this version of the OS.

Dec 28, 2023 2:20 AM in response to K_Naerboe

Nup,

Recrop current wallpaper doesn’t work even if you are an octopus.

When you press done it doesn’t hold and save.

$1700 phone- ridiculous.

I probably wouldn’t have to change anything if all the battery, wifi and carrier data wasn’t in WHITE!!

Why can’t I change the colour of the data at the top of an iPhone 13 display to a darker colour?

Please no responses for YouTube links from Indian people telling me how to use the display and brightness feature on my phone.

It isn’t a thing with this issue.

Apple needs to fix this.

Sincerely,

$1700 Phone (:

May 10, 2024 5:20 AM in response to K_Naerboe

As someone else posted, doing this positions the crop in the lower left of the screen, and can’t find a way to drag the cropped image to the center. The goal for me is to keep the upper and lower margins of the screen empty to make it easier to see/read the app icons. I’ve had slightly better luck after lots of time and multiple tries on the Lock Screen wallpaper, but the “desktop” screen crop functionality is just not working. The function says pinch to crop, so you’d think releasing after pinching would hold the resize *and* the screen position until you click Done (without needing to use two hands).

Pinch to Crop Wallpaper... still not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.