Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21in Maverick suddenly comes on mouse and keyboard not responding

Bluetooth Setup Assistant message is on screen

" no keyboard connected " - put in new batteries - were near replacing

tried command /escape, C/O/esp, C/Q ....

afraid to restart, in the middle of getting it working after lost pw due power failure -

hoping to sync with MacBook Pro 13 in (( and I can't figure out Keychain pw for this now !! ))

agh !

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 4:25 PM

Hey mouseonmoon,

Great question. PRAM and NVRAM are the same. "NVRAM (or PRAM) is a small amount of memory that your Mac uses to store and quickly access certain system settings such as sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, and time zone. These settings vary by Mac and the devices you're using with it." Reset NVRAM on your Mac

Cheers.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 4:25 PM in response to mouseonmoon

Hey mouseonmoon,

Great question. PRAM and NVRAM are the same. "NVRAM (or PRAM) is a small amount of memory that your Mac uses to store and quickly access certain system settings such as sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, and time zone. These settings vary by Mac and the devices you're using with it." Reset NVRAM on your Mac

Cheers.

Jan 28, 2023 11:30 AM in response to mouseonmoon

Hello mouseonmoon,

If you have access to a wired keyboard/mouse you may try restarting connecting those, and restarting the Mac: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM may also help in this situation: Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset NVRAM
Option keyplusCommand keyplusP keyplusR key
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, R.
3. Release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart. For example, you might hear a startup sound more than once, or see the Apple logo more than once.
4. When your Mac finishes starting up, you might need to adjust any system settings that were reset.

If you continue to have issues you may try reaching out to Apple Support here for additional help: Apple Support

Cheers.

Jan 28, 2023 12:38 AM in response to mouseonmoon

SOLVED !! ?

Left computer off  24 hours- restart - still unable to sign in - 

Bluetooth message appeared - can’t find keyboard - therefore unable to type pw

I tried using as Guest ( no sign-in needed ) -message disappeared at first  then returned = ’no keyboard connection ’ .

I moved the keyboard away from the computer and touched keys and suddenly heard beep when touching keys ?

But still didn’t work and same ‘ no connection’ message.

I’ll skip most  details - 

Opened System Preferences for BT = Devices 

found Keyboard not connected and something about MacBook connection. ?

It seems I may have tried to connect MBook computer to the IMac through BT which possibly caused problem ?

I was able to force quit BT.

I turned on the keyboard connection and turned off the ‘computer’ connection.

( then also make sure top right BT  is ‘On’ 

and devices connected = keyboard and mouse ).

It seems this was caused by glitch when I was messing with ‘connections’ for ‘computer sharing’ with BT. I’ve turned that off.

I also turned off BT on MBook (it doesn’t have any BT devices - and may have been messing with iMac BT ? ). Keyboard now working fine .

I’m still trying to figure out Keychain and Time Machine and fix the mail - on and on but the Mouse and Keyboard are 'playing' again !

Jan 28, 2023 1:41 PM in response to mouseonmoon

darn, not able to 'edit' my reply to you = Eric

I should have mentioned 'detail' that before I restarted I removed "Passport"

for Time Machine ( which had been unused when computer wasn't being used

but infrequently by me as Guest

so still 'on' - but the "Passport" had 'gone missing' and computer had begun

coming on for no known reason - I had continuous message about 'agent/keychain' permission....

also removed a 'thumb drive' that was being used at times . These were functioning to save files

as I attempted to figure out password(s) - so TM was 'working' here on and off then disappeared.

I've just reconnected it and figuring out what happened there over last year - just finished it's 'updating'.

so then, more to learn ! at least I can work on a problem that can be solved !!

Jan 28, 2023 5:52 PM in response to Neil22R

Neil22R

Every little bite helps- re-learning all the time

Bites of confusion = ID, user name and Email all the same in one place,

different somewhere else = like on my old computer and new and Google,

and mail and YT and and ZOOM DR, and aaaagh

any wonder I can't change the keychain pw-

thanks for 'meaning and understanding' in tornado times !

iMac 21in Maverick suddenly comes on mouse and keyboard not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.