Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad is locked and "Speaking" all actions. How do I switch voiceover off?

Reopening an earlier question from 2015 as the original replies were helpful, but didn’t resolve the problem for me.

Ipad is locked and "Speaking" all actions. Somehow voiceover has switched on and I’m unable to unlock the iPad in order to switch voiceover off via settings.

iPad is now "talking" everything I do. I did not manually enter "voiceover" mode in settings. Not sure how it happened.

I've force restarted it (power+home button) but, once restarted, it is now displaying keypad, asking for the for passcode to "unlock" the ipad. However, when I press the numbers of the passcode on the screen, the ipad "Speaks" them, but doesn't actually register the numbers, so iPad remains locked. I’ve tried the suggestion made by a respondent to the question posted in 2015, of holding down the home button to get Siri to activate (and then tell Siri to “turn voiceover off”), but I can’t get Siri to activate.

Any further thoughts gratefully received. Thanks.

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 7:33 AM

5 replies

Jan 26, 2023 11:02 AM in response to Zctlm35

Oh yeah, the accessibility shortcut. I think that might have caused this in the first place. You might want to turn that off in settings before you continue using the iPad to avoid having this issue again. In settings, go to Accessibility, then scroll down to the bottom and find Accessibility Shortcut. Click it, then make sure that nothing has a checkmark on it. After that, you should be good to go.

Ipad is locked and "Speaking" all actions. How do I switch voiceover off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.