Battery Draining After WatchOS 9.3 Update

I upgraded my Apple Watch Series 7 Cellular to watchOS 9.3 yesterday and noticed a lot worse battery life. The battery goes from 100% to 0% in just 6 hours and is connected to Wi-Fi rather than Cellular. I have already reset it to factory settings and performed a hard reset, and the issue persists. I hope Apple did not do this on purpose. Is anyone else noticing the same?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 11:25 AM

76 replies

May 31, 2023 12:14 PM in response to td161

Software has dependencies. Software updates on devices may no longer be comptible with third party software on your phone or watch. Security updates in particular can have conflicts with third party security software (none of which is necessary but gets pushed to gullible users)

Third party app developers bear the responsibility for beta testing including power drain and conflicts, not Apple.

That is why I wrote the ultimate test/remedy is Apple Watch battery drain - the ultimate … - Apple Community in order to completely rule out conflicts and corruptions. This has been linked to in other links.

I am no longer following this thread as the "the update broke my device" mentality becomes boring and depressing after 10 year or so.

Jan 26, 2023 2:26 PM in response to bacandido

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.5 battery drain - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

Feb 1, 2023 2:37 PM in response to bacandido

When there are new updates, there are times when apps that I have selected to NOT update in the background are all turned on again. Weird, I know, but it happens. Check for that issue, and turn off the ones you don’t need to constantly update. Also, go to notifications and deselect apps you do not need notifications for. After I get everything back to how I had it previous to the update, I turn off my iPhone first, then watch, then restart iPhone, then watch. In that order. I don’t know what is is, but it works for me. Have been doing this turn-off-start sequence once a week for several years. I wish I could offer more insight, but I’m sure there’s a new update to follow. You can also check out this vid on YouTube that may help. https://youtu.be/wRwuX7r868M

Battery Draining After WatchOS 9.3 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.