Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off view of Widgets and access to Camera on iPad Lock Screen

I've been exploring settings on my iPad Mini 6 in hopes of syncing the settings to match my iPhone, but I've noticed I can't prohibit access to widgets and camera when the iPad is locked. I can control these settings on my iPhone, so why not my iPad? …any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

It's concerning to me, especially for widgets as I use that to view confidential info, e.g., calendar and stocks – these are things I do not want to be accessible from the lock screen. Obviously I could delete the widgets, but that's not fun.

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 7:06 AM

If you are concerned that your Today View (which incorporates Widgets) is available from your iPad Lock screen while your iPad is locked, you can completely remove this access.

Settings > TouchID & Passcode > [Allow Access When Locked] > Today View & Search - set to OFF

You may also wish to review similar permissions - as access to other features can be similarly denied (or permitted) while the iPad is locked.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 7:06 AM in response to jamienyc1

If you are concerned that your Today View (which incorporates Widgets) is available from your iPad Lock screen while your iPad is locked, you can completely remove this access.

Settings > TouchID & Passcode > [Allow Access When Locked] > Today View & Search - set to OFF

You may also wish to review similar permissions - as access to other features can be similarly denied (or permitted) while the iPad is locked.

Jan 26, 2023 11:54 AM in response to jamienyc1

jamienyc1 wrote:

I've been exploring settings on my iPad Mini 6 in hopes of syncing the settings to match my iPhone, but I've noticed I can't prohibit access to widgets and camera when the iPad is locked. I can control these settings on my iPhone, so why not my iPad? …any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

The iPhone and the iPad each have their own set of features and only Apple could answer why the features differ from device to device.

It's concerning to me, especially for widgets as I use that to view confidential info, e.g., calendar and stocks – these are things I do not want to be accessible from the lock screen. Obviously I could delete the widgets, but that's not fun.

There is no way to lock access to those widgets. Your on,y recourse is to delete them. You can always submit feedback to Apple.

Product Feedback - Apple

Jan 26, 2023 6:03 PM in response to jamienyc1

Unlike iOS16 for iPhone, iPadOS 16 for iPad does not support lock screen customisation. Likewise, the new active Astronomy and Weather Wallpapers are currently exclusive to iOS16.x for iPhone.

iPadOS16 doesn’t support Lock Screen Widgets - this being an element of Lock Screen customisation. As such, there are no widgets on the lock screen to disable via settings.

Similarly, the iPad Camera is also not directly available from the Lock screen.

Jan 31, 2023 6:17 AM in response to jamienyc1

Thanks for all advice shared – I ended up working around the restrictions by deleting all widgets from the Today View (swipe right widget screen) and then adding them back as new widgets positioned on the second-place Home Screen. Since Camera on Lock Screen can't be disabled, but does prevent access to the entire photo library, it's less of a concern.

Turning off view of Widgets and access to Camera on iPad Lock Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.