Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail in Ventura crashes system

New mac mini with Ventura 13.2. Upn starting Mail, the Memory requirement (as seen on Activity monitor) skyrockets to over 40GB within a few minutes, and then the system begins sending an error message stating that Mail needs to be force quit

Mac mini (2023 with M2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 10:06 PM

lowellfrombrookfield wrote:

New mac mini with Ventura 13.2. Upn starting Mail, the Memory requirement (as seen on Activity monitor) skyrockets to over 40GB within a few minutes, and then the system begins sending an error message stating that Mail needs to be force quit

A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2023 10:06 PM in response to lowellfrombrookfield

lowellfrombrookfield wrote:

A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

Jan 27, 2023 7:17 AM in response to lowellfrombrookfield

1 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

2 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

3 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Jan 27, 2023 7:49 AM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas I tried booting in Safe Mode again, just to see if I would eventually get an error message of some sort. So, after performing the safe boot and opening Mail and Activity Monitor as I had previously done a couple of times, I saw the Activity Monitor Memory used by Mail spike again, but instead of shutting down, I left it open and walked away from the computer for about 10 minutes (primarily to avoid further frustration, LOL). And when I returned, the Activity Monitor was in the green and Mail was only using ~600MB memory, as normal.

So the important point here that I was unaware of is that it's not the actual Safe Boot that helped but it required opening the Mail app and allowing it to process for a period of time. I should have understood that earlier.

Thanks for your helpful encouragement.

Mail in Ventura crashes system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.