Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drive issues after macOS 13.2 update

I updated my Mac Studio to macOS Ventura 13.2 last night.

This morning neither of my external hard drives would show up in Disk Utility or in the Finder. The drives spun up and did not sleep. An SSD in the same enclosure as one of the drives always mounted normally.

I checked all 6 Thunderbolt ports, different Thunderbolt 4 cables, shut down and restarted several times. Etrecheck Pro found no problems.

Then I found this thread:

macOS Ventura reboot - Apple Community

and the helpful reply by P. Phillips, which reminded me of Safe Boot.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

In Safe Mode, both external drives mounted normally. After a normal reboot, the two drives again mounted normally. So it seems that whatever disk repair the OS does during a safe boot fixed my problem.

Mac Studio Ultra Mac13,2 updated to macOS 13.2

OWC Ministack enclosure one with a 14T hard drive, second OWC Ministack with a 14T hard drive and a 4T SSD.

Apple 3m Thunderbolt 4 cables, one for each enclosure.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 2:50 PM

Similar questions

32 replies

Feb 1, 2023 5:55 PM in response to Klahane

Have the same issue foolishly updated yesterday, and now my Promis Pegasu R32 and one of my Qnap TR-004 do not mount. Drives show up in the disk utility as individual drives and Promise Utility also recognises them but cant get them to mount. One is my TimeMachine Drive one has tons of the Videos Im working on I need now.

Jan 30, 2023 10:07 PM in response to Klahane

i have an external SSD, which i use connected to an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. it used to mount fine with 2 partitions on it (apfs TM, EXFAT). that doesn't work anymore and i think the last time it did, it was before my update to 13.2.

i've tried accessing from Safe Boot, and the TM partition appears, mounts, etc. however the EXFAT does not (it is Ghosted in diskutility). rebooted back to normal, neither partition will mount. they will not even appear in diskutility.

i tried connecting the external SSD directly to the mbp's thunderbolt ports, as well as via the OWC dock but not working. have also tried using another user account on my mac, and have also tried resetting NVRAM (twice).

the last thing i decided to do is completely wipe the SSD (in safe boot) and make a single APFS partition on it first, then add another partition (tried EXFAT, then tried MSDOS). they do not mount in safe boot.

had to lose my TM backup stored on the SSD to try this, but reformatting the drive it appears did not do anything but reveal that 13.2 has issues.

is Apple aware of this ? i've seen numerous posts doing a google search, as well as in this community - many unresolved/unanswered.

Jan 30, 2023 10:20 PM in response to zero7404

After I got both drives mounted again, as I noted above, I still had some spontaneous unmounts, an issue that I've been tracking since the end of 2021.

I ran both drives through one level of Disk Utility First Aid, and both have remained mounted and behaving normally since then (though they might not be sleeping as expected). But that's only a few days.

Disk Utility First Aid takes 15 hours to complete on the 14T hard drives I use for Time Machine, with 82 snapshots. And it seems it would take the same amount of time for each level (disk name, container, enclosure) as Apple recommends because each pass checks each file.

As I wrote before, the one SSD in one OWC enclosure always mounts. But it also has no files on it, because it's not in use at the moment.

Jan 31, 2023 3:59 PM in response to Klahane

it seems that for you they are accessible in du. mine will not even appear in du.

it appears in safe boot, not with normal non-safe boot.

i've been on the fence about reverting back to macOS 12.5, maybe i'll do that and just stay on it for a while.

nevertheless i am curious to find out what is actually causing this problem ... there must be some dameon or script that is broken in 13.2.

it is not just with this one SSD that i have the issue, i am trying to get a flash drive to mount and that will not either.

it is counter productive and prevents me from using my external drives to copy/move and access files i need.

Feb 1, 2023 8:01 PM in response to oxmox11

really sorry to hear ...

unfortunately for me, after trying a dozen or so things, I reverted back to macOS 12. external drives now mount via USB-C or external dock connections.

I have an intel mbp 16. when I was on 13.2, plugging in a drive I noticed something strange - the drive name showed up in one of the USB items listed in System Information (in the USB section). but really lost about getting it to appear anywhere else on macOS.

a shame, for all those needing their external drives to do their work and having this function broken after a software update. this type of thing is nothing new. and I always did not like jumping on the latest the instant it comes out - for this reason.

unfortunately, for me it took a complete wipe of my Mac, then installing macOS 12 from a USB installer (booting into recovery). and even more sadly for me my time machine backups were on the external drive that did not want to connect and one of my troubleshooting choices was to wipe it clean. but I would not have done that if I didn't have 2 duplicates of my backups and personal data elsewhere on my network.

end result is that I am just about doing a fresh/clean install and adding back my docs/apps/settings all manually.

but I intend to stay on Monterey for a while, probably will not bother with any newer macOS for my mbp.

if you have a tm backup on one of your external drives, and you cannot wait for the developer to figure it out and push a mac update ... maybe you might want to do the same as I did and then restore from the tm backup.

I really would have wished for an application or software suite that can take a verbatim picture of my mac's SSD - exactly - and back it up. some open source apps used to be available that could do that like clonezilla. but the state of newer OS's and encryptions built-in are making solutions like that impossible to offer to users.

Feb 2, 2023 7:06 AM in response to Klahane

2017 iMac 27" - Upgraded to Ventura 13.2 on 1/30. Kernel panic crashes started immediately after upgrade. Disconnected external drives and crashes stopped. Western Digital 6 TB My Book drive used for Time Machine is completely bricked. Tried Disk First Aid in normal mode, safe mode, even tried connecting to my 2013 iMac at home running Catalina. No luck. The drive actually crashed my home iMac with a kernel panic. Tried connecting to office PC. Drive not recognized. Thank God this was only a Time Machine drive!

So what to do now? I'm taking my machine back to Monterey. Never thought something in the OS could render an external drive useless. It'll be very hard to EVER trust Ventura.

Feb 2, 2023 8:52 AM in response to SteveOHutch

SteveOHutch wrote:
It'll be very hard to EVER trust Ventura.

I don't think it's a Ventura issue per se.

I have had spontaneous unmounts, sometimes with a spontaneous remount, since 04/14/2022, before my Mac Studio arrived and before Ventura. This would usually happen once or twice after a restart.

After installing 13.2, hard drives in both my OWC Ministack enclosures (Thunderbolt 4) failed to mount. But a safe boot seems to have fixed that. Drive Utility First Aid seems to have fixed even the spontaneous unmounts, at least for a few days.

My Mac Studio is all Thunderbolt 4, but some people apparently see problems with other connections, with SSDs and hard drives and with various brands. It's hard to tell if all the reports are actually the same problem.

Feb 2, 2023 2:53 PM in response to Klahane

The 8 TB hard drive in OWC mini stack will now only mount (2 TB SSD on same connection works fine) after a fresh install of Ventura 13.2 and then only the first startup after that no show in safe boot, normal start, or replugging the cable. tried different new user login, cache cleaning and removing all login items; no joy! Etre shows no major problem. frustrated

Feb 4, 2023 3:12 AM in response to Glenn Gronquist1

Apple "Engineers" suggested it's an issue with a drive in the Promise (despite all drives showing up and promise utility and system diagnostics test shows they are all good)

So I still have a M1 MacBook Pro on 13.1 installed Promise Driver, and Promise works as expected, so definitely a 13.2 issue not a Promise issue. It's quite incredible that Apple pretty much has no way to downgrade a system, yet they release purely tested system updates that render a big part of my set-up unusable.

I documented this on film; now I will update the MacBook to 13.2 and would think the same issue will occur again.

I managed to get a terminal command to download Ventura 13.1 as it's otherwise not publicly available to users

Here is the Terminal command to create a macOS 13.1 installer in the Applications folder: sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.1

Not for the first time Apple f%$# this up nicely so far three days of work and deadlines missed because of this BS

Feb 4, 2023 3:35 PM in response to Klahane

Update

Both of my hard drives in OWC Ministack enclosures stayed mounted for six days.

Today, I shut down my Mac Studio so I could unplug and label my two Apple 3m Thunderbolt 4 cables. (They thread under a desk.)

Neither of my two hard drives in OWC Ministack enclosures mounted on restart.

The SSD in one of my OWC Ministack enclosures did mount, as it always has.

Shut down and Started in Safe Mode—both hard drives mounted.

Restarted from Apple menu—both hard drives mounted.

I have no idea what could possibly be running on a normal startup, but not in Safe Mode that would affect external hard drives. (And then, whatever software would have to stop being problematic on a later restart.)

As usual, EtreCheck Pro shows no major problems and no suspicious minor problems. I have an Epson V600 and its software and a Canon TR8620a and its software.

Feb 4, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Klahane

I'm having success mounting my OWC Ministack (though the SSD never fails to mount) by either running a fresh install of Ventura 13.2(only mounts after the first start) or now just unplugging and re-plugging the Thunderbolt cable on the back of the Ministack. Neither Safe Mode or any other" supposed fix" showing up online right now seemed to work for me. Joshua (tech) at OWC is very aware of the problem and we've been conversing for days. Originally I was going to return the Ministack (thinking that was the problem) until following these forum postings, I found that external drives of every ilk were experiencing this problem with Ventura 13.2

Feb 5, 2023 1:52 AM in response to Klahane

I am having the same issue. I have a Toshiba 2TB external drive that I use for Time Machine. It's been working perfectly until i upgrade to MacOS 13.2 on 3rd February. Now I cant see the drive in Finder, and when I access Disk Utility I can see the drive greyed out, but cant mount it - i just get the spinning multi coloured circle. I have tried everything on the internet to get it to mount but nothing works.

Interestingly I have a usb key 124 GB which is plugged in and that is still accessible - its like the developers have done something to prevent the external drives from working (the cynic in me says because its not apple so they have added restrictions to force us to buy their products only).

THIS IS DEFINITELY CAUSED BY 13.2 - THE APPLE DEVELOPERS NEED TO WORK OUT WHAT THEY HAVE BROKEN AND FIX IT. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING A 13.2.1 UPATE VERY SOON!!!!!!!

Feb 5, 2023 9:21 AM in response to Glenn Gronquist1

nice to know that a fresh install of 13.2 worked.

i personally dont like how macOS 13 is changed vs the previous versions, they made it resemble their iOS platforms to accommodate Apple’s chips in their computers, but mac computers are still not touch screen capable.

either OS version you choose, up to you. i noticed they improved some underpinnings in 13 that were chronic in 12, but it never fails that new bugs appear when that transition takes place.

they say macOS is good, but software clutter-wise is on par with other OS’s and you still find yourself with some old creaks and cracks left in it, even after a major software jump.

in recent years i found my other installations of competing brand OS’s hold up better in this regard.

Drive issues after macOS 13.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.