Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Keys

Most of my devices will support the use of a security key, but I have one dated iPad that I still use occasionally that's too old to accept iPasOD 16.3. Is it possible to continue to use text-based 2FA on that iPad, or is it an all or nothing conversion to the use of security keys?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 4:11 PM

If you choose to use FIDO Security Keys, all devices associated with your AppleID account must run iOS/iPadOS 16.3 and macOS Ventura 13.2 or later.

More detail can be found in this support page:

About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support

As you will not be able to use your older devices after enabling Security Keys, consider creating an additional AppleID account for your older devices. While the new account will not be able to benefit from the new advanced security features, they will remain usable.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2023 4:11 PM in response to Fouremco

If you choose to use FIDO Security Keys, all devices associated with your AppleID account must run iOS/iPadOS 16.3 and macOS Ventura 13.2 or later.

More detail can be found in this support page:

About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support

As you will not be able to use your older devices after enabling Security Keys, consider creating an additional AppleID account for your older devices. While the new account will not be able to benefit from the new advanced security features, they will remain usable.

Jan 26, 2023 4:22 PM in response to Fouremco

No - you’ve not missed anything. Earlier versions of iOS/iPadOS/macOS simply do not support Security Keys - and therefore cannot securely authenticate to your AppleID account. The Security Key completely supersedes and replaces the older Authentication Code mechanism.

Don’t forget that you must also register at least two FIDO Certified Security Keys (up to six can be registered). If all of your registered Security Keys are lost, you may be permanently locked-out of both your devices and AppleID account.

Security Keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.