Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Security Keys on iPhone or Mac an optional way to compete Apple ID 2FA or a further step after 2FA text-phone-trusted device codes?

Read all I can find on Apple support on Security Keys. Before I buy a 2nd one to satisfy Apple’s 2 or more requirement, I’m puzzled whether Security Keys are an additional requirement, to and no top of the usual 2FA authentication. That is, if you enable a security key, go to sign in to Apple ID, you must complete, UN and PW, then 2FA codes or trusted device, and still use the security key. The security key becomes an additional requirement, after one of the 2FA screens?

I thought security keys were a way to accomplish 2FA. I have an RSA to sign into online banking. I give UN+PW, the EITHER the code from the RSA or from text or call. Other websites do the same.

Important to me b/c I’m out of country a lot and often can’t get codes with texts or calls. security keys allow me to complete 2FA. As I read it, with Apple, I’d still be stuck at 2FA screen. The security key doesn’t help me, correct?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 1:04 PM

The security key can be used instead of the two-factor code. See the information in About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support including the following (be sure to read the entire article):

With two-factor authentication — which is designed to make sure that you're the only one who can access your Apple ID account — you need to provide two pieces of information to sign in with your Apple ID to a new device or on the web.

• The first piece of information is your Apple ID password.
  • A security key can act as the second piece of information, instead of the six-digit verification code that is normally used.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 1:04 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

The security key can be used instead of the two-factor code. See the information in About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support including the following (be sure to read the entire article):

With two-factor authentication — which is designed to make sure that you're the only one who can access your Apple ID account — you need to provide two pieces of information to sign in with your Apple ID to a new device or on the web.

• The first piece of information is your Apple ID password.
  • A security key can act as the second piece of information, instead of the six-digit verification code that is normally used.

Are Security Keys on iPhone or Mac an optional way to compete Apple ID 2FA or a further step after 2FA text-phone-trusted device codes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.