Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD or DVD file too large to burn

CD or DVD too large to burn

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 6:28 PM

A CD can hold ~700MB of data.

A DVD can hold ~4.7GB of data.

How large is the file you are trying to burn?

What software are you using to burn your disc?

Store information on CD and DVD discs on Mac - Apple Support

11 replies

Jan 26, 2023 7:53 PM in response to janetfromlogan

• Again - What is the size of the file you are attempting to write to disc?

Select the file and press Cmd-I (⌘I) to see.

• Is the file located on your computer or in the cloud?

If in the cloud, place a copy into a local folder and try to burn it from there.

• What brand and type of disc – CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW – are you attempting to write to? Some brands are better tolerated than others in inexpensive dvd burners.

• Has some data already been written to the disc before?

If so, it may not be possible to add additional data to that disc. Try burning to a new disc.

Jan 27, 2023 4:56 PM in response to ghr165

I think I am having problems because my external hard drive, from which I was attempting to move files... to a DVD, was locked! I was able to get into its preferences> security and unlock it. I will try to put files on the DVD again. Your idea of moving the files to the desktop and copying to the DVD from there is a really good idea, and if I have trouble again will try that... to be continued.... Thank you!

CD or DVD file too large to burn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.