Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail app stopped working after ios 16.3 update

My iphone 12 mail app will not open after update to ios 16.3; I get a notification on home screen when mail arrives, and mail app icon shows 1 message unread. But when I tap on mail icon the screen goes blank and black for one second and then returns to home page. I turned phone off and on but did not help. BTW, the mail app on my iPad is working ok.

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 4:24 AM

First thing I advise is to try a FORCED restart 

Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

If no better, uninstall the Mail app, Restart the phone, and reinstall it from App Store (little cloud symbol)

Go to Settings, Mail and ensure Mail is turned on in all accounts.

If still no better you could Backup, restore to factory, then restore from the backup:-  

See here for the resources you need. Allow a couple of hours: 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support 

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support 

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support 

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 4:24 AM in response to kennethnyc

First thing I advise is to try a FORCED restart 

Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

If no better, uninstall the Mail app, Restart the phone, and reinstall it from App Store (little cloud symbol)

Go to Settings, Mail and ensure Mail is turned on in all accounts.

If still no better you could Backup, restore to factory, then restore from the backup:-  

See here for the resources you need. Allow a couple of hours: 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support 

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support 

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support 

Jan 28, 2023 1:17 PM in response to LD150

so friends, thought i would add a twist in here, i ran into the same problem and reinstalled after applying 16.3 but found that the mail app would still open in a black screen. there apparently was also new terms and conditions for me that i had to accept, which when i did then everything worked good. i have seen this behavior for years, when an update comes out if the app (or something indirectly) is updated then it seems to be an all good or all fail. try to login to a non-ipad device to accept the terms if you can by going into settings > mail. >unchecking mail > waiting a minute or so then reselecting mail again and you should be prompted to accept. once that is done, then try to go back into your ipad, close the mail app fully and reopen and waalaa, all good 🤙🏾 if it was your phone (in your case), use your ipad on icloud web, you just need to access on another device that is not the device having the issues.

mail app stopped working after ios 16.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.