Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch silicone band -- allergy? Skin on wrist under watch is itchy and peeling

Is this a known kind of allergy? Skin on wrist under watch is itchy and peeling. What is an appropriate replacement and how do I get it replaced? I did pay for applecare on the watch, is this covered?

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 9:12 AM

Yes, some people are known to have allergic reactions to silicone. You may well be one such person. It would be advisable to see a doctor to find out.

As to replacing the band, it depends on when you bought the watch and band combination. If within 14 days of purchase you can return the watch and band to Apple and choose a different combination. If you are past the 14 day return window, just buy yourself a different type of band. You don't have to buy a band from Apple. You have loads of options (thousands, actually) from sellers like Amazon.

If you are one of the rare people who are allergic to silicone, don't buy any band with silicone in it. You could try leather or metal or canvas or nylon as alternative materials.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 9:12 AM in response to ankhank

Yes, some people are known to have allergic reactions to silicone. You may well be one such person. It would be advisable to see a doctor to find out.

As to replacing the band, it depends on when you bought the watch and band combination. If within 14 days of purchase you can return the watch and band to Apple and choose a different combination. If you are past the 14 day return window, just buy yourself a different type of band. You don't have to buy a band from Apple. You have loads of options (thousands, actually) from sellers like Amazon.

If you are one of the rare people who are allergic to silicone, don't buy any band with silicone in it. You could try leather or metal or canvas or nylon as alternative materials.

Jan 27, 2023 5:45 PM in response to ankhank

on a closer look, the irritated/peeling skin seems to be located right under the metal stud that's mounted in the band. I've never worn any metal on my skin before, so I guess this may be a first time appearance of a metal allergy. Time will tell (case number issued and problem bumped to "the engineers" by Apple support, response expected in six business days).

Apple watch silicone band -- allergy? Skin on wrist under watch is itchy and peeling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.