Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not answer a call on my iPhone?

When I get a call on my iPhone, I cannot answer though the phone is in my hand. I have to run across the house to get to my iPad. Sometimes, I miss the call. Sometimes a very important call.

I do have and can answer on iPad, but that is a convenience. I would expect that feature to allow answering on both connecrted devices

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 8:39 PM

Hi tifmd,

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community

re: "Why can I not answer a call on my iPhone?"

Wondering how you have set up the calls for iPad and iPhone,

and

which settings may be only allowing iPad to answer the calls:

Maybe iPad and iPhone are connected with Continuity:

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch – Apple Support

For handoff: Use Handoff to continue tasks on your other devices - Apple Support

Else:

For checking iPhone's cellular settings:

Make and receive phone calls on Mac or iPad - Apple Support

To check your iPad settings see:

Make and receive phone calls on iPad – Apple Support

Apple support have another article online that may also help with iPhone settings:

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone - Apple Support

All the best :-)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 8:39 PM in response to tlfmd

Hi tifmd,

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community

re: "Why can I not answer a call on my iPhone?"

Wondering how you have set up the calls for iPad and iPhone,

and

which settings may be only allowing iPad to answer the calls:

Maybe iPad and iPhone are connected with Continuity:

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch – Apple Support

For handoff: Use Handoff to continue tasks on your other devices - Apple Support

Else:

For checking iPhone's cellular settings:

Make and receive phone calls on Mac or iPad - Apple Support

To check your iPad settings see:

Make and receive phone calls on iPad – Apple Support

Apple support have another article online that may also help with iPhone settings:

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Jan 28, 2023 8:53 PM in response to tlfmd

tlfmd Said:

"Why can I not answer a call on my iPhone?:mWhen I get a call on my iPhone, I cannot answer though the phone is in my hand. I have to run across the house to get to my iPad. Sometimes, I miss the call. Sometimes a very important call. I do have and can answer on iPad, but that is a convenience. I would expect that feature to allow answering on both connecrted devices"

-------

If you can't Answer the Phone...

Install an Update:

Updates contain bug fixes and keep things working smoothly. So, see if you need to update it. Use my User Tip:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. If any updates arable, they'll install, sure enough.

Why can I not answer a call on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.