Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura finder crashes when opening share that has com.apple.finderinfo extended attribute

Recently updated my MPB and Mac mini used as a home server to Ventura. Noticed an interesting problem after a few days whereby when File Sharing is enabled and you try and access a hard drive on the server that has an extended attribute on it, specifically com.apple.finderinfo which seems to be placed when a drive has a custom icon on it, either finder on the client machine will hang and crash, and/or samba on the server will hang and crash entirely. For example most LaCie drives come with a nice custom icon instead of the default external drive icon and I was unable to access this drive over the network, however all other drives were perfectly accessible. After aligning permissions on the drive between the ones I could access and the one I could not, I narrowed this down to the only difference being the extended attribute, confirmed by running ls -le@ on the /Volumes path. After removing this attribute the drive custom icon disappears and reverts to the standard yellow icon. The disk is then accessible over the network. Put the icon back, copy/paste it into the Get Info panel, and the extended attribute returns. Try access the drive over the network, and Finder just hangs with Loading... in the Finder window. Finder then has to be restarted on the client and the File Sharing service has to be restarted on the server. When this happens, all other file sharing capability stops. No other drives are accessible.

This has only started happening since the update to Ventura 13.1. Previously on Monterey with Catalina on the server everything was working fine. Im not sure if it's the client or the server that is the problem.

Issue can be reproduced every time.

Enable file sharing, connect to the machine from another Mac, and try and open a hard disk that has a custom icon.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 9:13 AM

I ran into the same problem. It's caused by Finder custom folder icons.

If a shared drive or folder has a custom icon then the server stalls, which causes all clients to freeze. The problem started with MacOS 13 (Ventura) and is still a problem as of 13.2.

The problem is on the server (I tested with older clients). If the clients are frozen you can turn off File Sharing on the server and that will free up the clients.

Until the MacOS bug is fixed, deleting the custom folder/drive icon will work around the problem.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2023 9:13 AM in response to General Exception

I ran into the same problem. It's caused by Finder custom folder icons.

If a shared drive or folder has a custom icon then the server stalls, which causes all clients to freeze. The problem started with MacOS 13 (Ventura) and is still a problem as of 13.2.

The problem is on the server (I tested with older clients). If the clients are frozen you can turn off File Sharing on the server and that will free up the clients.

Until the MacOS bug is fixed, deleting the custom folder/drive icon will work around the problem.

Jan 29, 2023 4:54 PM in response to General Exception

Hello General Exception,

For this type of issue, we believe further assistance would be needed. We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with this Mac behavior, so we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Apple Support.

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities and have a wonderful day.

Feb 11, 2023 3:39 AM in response to astrosmash

Exactly this.

I rebuilt/upgraded a Mac mini I was using as a Time Machine/file server to Ventura recently, which is where the problem started happening. Previous to this, (Ventura clients/Big Sur on the server) everything was fine.

As stated, removing the custom folder/drive icon resolves the issue.

Thank you for confirming. It took me several days of confusion to work out what was going on.

Ventura finder crashes when opening share that has com.apple.finderinfo extended attribute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.