Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have an apple macbook pro 16 and would like to partition it to use Windows

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 5:58 AM

ptimus wrote:

You do not say what exact Mac...( ?)

Intel or Apple Silicon M1/M2

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant

Parallels: Mac & Windows Virtualization, Remote Application ...

3 replies

Jan 29, 2023 8:47 PM in response to ptimus

Hi ptimus,

Due to architectural differences, you can't use Boot Camp Assistant to install and run Windows on your M1 Pro 16" MacBook Pro. This is because Apple silicon chips (such as M1 Pro) use the ARM architecture, and Microsoft has only licensed the Intel/AMD (x86) version of Windows to the public.

An ARM version of Windows does indeed exist, but it's preinstalled on Windows for ARM devices (such as the Surface Pro X), and otherwise only available to members of the Windows Insider Program. You can join the Windows Insider Program for free and then run the ARM version of Windows in a virtual machine, such as Parallels Desktop for Mac.

(Apple silicon chips are also designed differently than usual ARM chips, as the Asahi Linux team discovered. For this reason, you can't natively install the ARM version of Windows onto an Apple silicon Mac. However, you can still run the ARM version of Windows in a virtual machine on an Apple silicon Mac.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.