Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur OS upgrade

Having upgraded my AirMac (early 2014 vintage) I now can't send emails on my Googlemail account but I can receive them - 'lightning bolt' symbol next to All Inboxes label. When clicked on ask me to go to Browser and login with my Google password, I go thru the whole two step authentication routine but I still can't login. Tried changing my password but no change still the same problem. I've a similar problem with an Hotmail account receive but not send. Tried - & + them in Internet Accounts - problem remains. Internet Accounts shows both a googlemail and a gmail account both for me. I've never set up a gmail account - do googlemail accounts default to gmail now. Fortunately I've other devices and I can use my googlemail thru Chrome.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 10:46 AM

I've never set up a gmail account - do googlemail accounts default to gmail now.

I know that Google offers an email service they call GMail, but I do not know what "Googlemail" is.

If you are unable to send or receive email using the Mail app, the following is applicable: If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support. The easiest way to resolve that problem is described near the end — remove the affected Account(s), and then add them again:

First remove: Log out of or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Then add: Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Be sure to heed the Important note in the first document.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 10:46 AM in response to StewartC1981

I've never set up a gmail account - do googlemail accounts default to gmail now.

I know that Google offers an email service they call GMail, but I do not know what "Googlemail" is.

If you are unable to send or receive email using the Mail app, the following is applicable: If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support. The easiest way to resolve that problem is described near the end — remove the affected Account(s), and then add them again:

First remove: Log out of or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Then add: Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Be sure to heed the Important note in the first document.

Jan 28, 2023 11:04 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the reply. Googlemail was the original name of what became Gmail in most regions - faster to type. That said, it's not entirely clear from a Google search whether or not Googlemail is treated the same as Gmail in identifying an account. So, if your email was originally Googlemail is it now Gmail and automatically recognised as such or is in effect two different accounts.

I've tried the remove/add account several times and it has no effect.

Thanks anyway.

Jan 28, 2023 12:31 PM in response to StewartC1981

That said, it's not entirely clear from a Google search whether or not Googlemail is treated the same as Gmail in identifying an account.

I don't know either, but I am far from a Google expert and this site isn't the best place to ask about their products and services anyway.

From the limited research I conducted the only relationship Google had with that name was their response to a trademark dispute: https://www.infoworld.com/article/2663734/google-loses-gmail-trademark-case-in-germany.html

Unless I misunderstand you, I assume you are referring to your MacBook Air as an "AirMac". The only products I know of with that name are Apple's AirPort routers, but as I recall that name was already trademarked in some other country (Japan, I believe) forcing Apple to name it something else.

Nevertheless it seems to me the email service you're asking about is still Google, and that the affected account(s) ought to be added in the same manner as any other GMail account.

You would almost certainly be better off asking in a Google product support forum.

Big Sur OS upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.