Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine after clean install...

Hello All-

I recently did a clean install of MacOS Ventura. I didn’t want to restore from a backup as that would have defeated the purpose of the clean install. I didn’t want to reload things back on that I wasn’t using.

I have been using a Synology NAS as a Time Machine backup and I have 2TB of iCloud storage that I back up to as well.

There are 3 folders - all three folders were in my home folder before the clean install - that I need to get from either the Time Machine backup or the iCloud backup.

When I go to Time Machine on my MacBook Pro that had the clean install it seems the NAS and recognizes it as a Time Machine backup location. The problem is there is no history for to me to go back to.

Can someone please tell me how I can get these folders from either the Time Machine backup of the MacBook Pro or from iCloud? It’s kind of important….

Thx!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 11:19 AM

Time Machine is tightly integrated into MacOS so that it can have the access needed to perform backups of everything. Time machine stores the smallest possible amount of additional files possible with each incremental backup, and use a database creates with file links to point to older files already on the backup set.

DON'T use Finder on your backup drive. To examine and restore from those backups, you use Time Machine.app (not to be confused with Time machine Preference pane):

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 11:19 AM in response to sc_elle

Time Machine is tightly integrated into MacOS so that it can have the access needed to perform backups of everything. Time machine stores the smallest possible amount of additional files possible with each incremental backup, and use a database creates with file links to point to older files already on the backup set.

DON'T use Finder on your backup drive. To examine and restore from those backups, you use Time Machine.app (not to be confused with Time machine Preference pane):

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 10, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I was really excited to read your post but when I launch the Time Machine.app in the applications folder I get the same issue....

I am attaching 2 photos. One photo shows a screenshot of the Time Machine.app. There are the hashmarks on the right side of the screen but the only "history" is Today and Now - nothing else.

The other photo shows the contents of the folder on the Synology where the backups were being kept before the clean install. As you can see there is over 1.2TB of data in that folder so I know the backups are there, I just can't get Time. Machine to see the history. I am the only person that backups to that folder so I know the 1.2TB of data is from my backups ONLY.

Thx for the help....

Time Machine after clean install...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.