Keeping files on Time Machine, if deleted from the iMac?

I'm getting a smaller SSD drive (512GB) on a refurbished iMac than my current 1TB drive on the old Mac, which has already used up over 512GB on its internal drive. I have a 2TB external drive that is for Time Machine backups. I'll need to delete files from the current Mac to not have the newer iMac maxed out from new. The question is, how do I preserve those files on the Time Machine drive with the new Mac connected, so that it won't delete them on the first back up operation?

Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 1:36 PM

NEVER EVER partition a Time Machine (or other backup app) drive for other storage. External Hard Disk are relatively inexpensive and if you need additional storage, buy one. If you use your backup drive for additional storage when that drive dies ( they all do eventually) then you will not only lose the original data but its backup too.

When buying EHD's please buy a quality drive such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro rather than the "Walmart" quality drives such as WD, Toshiba, Seagate etc... Buying a quality drive is not much more expensive than a cheap drive and the build quality ensures additional life which makes the investment much cheaper in the long term.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 1:36 PM in response to Forest Mccready

NEVER EVER partition a Time Machine (or other backup app) drive for other storage. External Hard Disk are relatively inexpensive and if you need additional storage, buy one. If you use your backup drive for additional storage when that drive dies ( they all do eventually) then you will not only lose the original data but its backup too.

When buying EHD's please buy a quality drive such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro rather than the "Walmart" quality drives such as WD, Toshiba, Seagate etc... Buying a quality drive is not much more expensive than a cheap drive and the build quality ensures additional life which makes the investment much cheaper in the long term.

Keeping files on Time Machine, if deleted from the iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.