Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac from 2016 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Is that ok in 2023?

It was getting glitchy so I factory reset it and I don't see an option to upgrade to a newer operating system.

There are a lot of websites that are totally legit that I can't get into. I keep getting "this connection is not private" or "this website might be impersonating the one you are trying to get to warnings."

This is making the computer very frustrating to use.

I don't see an option to easily update to a newer OS. I see a few websites that say things like:

How to run Mojave on an older Mac

Similar to Catalina, you can install Mojave on an unsupported Mac with a patcher. Download the Mojave patcher from DOSDude1’s website here. It also contains all the requirements and a step-by-step guide on how to use the patcher. By the way, these websites usually have a Donate link, so feel free to reward the devs for their hard work creating the patchers! 

I know nothing about computers and if its not direct from the Apple I don't trust it so I probably won't do that.

How would you proceed?

iMac

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 7:16 PM

Apples_2_Apples2 Said:

"iMac from 2016 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Is that ok in 2023?: [...[I know nothing about computers and if it's not direct from the Apple I don't trust it so I probably won't do that. How would you proceed?"

-------

For reference...

About Updating a Mac:

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

II. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

III. If Compatible:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 7:16 PM in response to Apples_2_Apples2

Apples_2_Apples2 Said:

"iMac from 2016 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Is that ok in 2023?: [...[I know nothing about computers and if it's not direct from the Apple I don't trust it so I probably won't do that. How would you proceed?"

-------

For reference...

About Updating a Mac:

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

II. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

III. If Compatible:

iMac from 2016 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Is that ok in 2023?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.