You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stream Music to Apple Watch with Data and no Iphone

Hello. I have the Apple Watch 8 with a data plan. I want to stream music using data to my Apple Watch and listen through headphones while I go running. I do not want to carry phone with me. However, I cannot get this to work. Every streaming music app on my Apple Watch by default plays through my phone. When my phone is not is Bluetooth range if my watch, the steaming music apps don’t seem to work. All the settings on the watch and phone should be correct for this to work but it doesn’t. Please help.

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 6:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 7:30 AM

I could be wrong here...

I'm under the impression that you need to sync playlists to your watch by doing this:

Open the Watch app on your iPhone, and scroll down to music and click on it.

On the next screen, you've got a couple of options which are: Recent Music (slide toggle), or Add Music (click the +)

The music will sync to your watch while it is charging and connected to either Wi-Fi or your iPhone.

Hopefully this is good information for you 🤷‍♂️

For more information, see the following articles:

Play music on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Add music to Apple Watch - Apple Support

Do more with Music on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Remove music from Apple Watch - Apple Support

Edit - Cellular is explained in the article titled "Do more with Music...". It says to go into your phone settings to turn on cellular, but I also found a cellular setting in the Watch app that might need to be turned on.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2023 7:30 AM in response to Melkoz

I could be wrong here...

I'm under the impression that you need to sync playlists to your watch by doing this:

Open the Watch app on your iPhone, and scroll down to music and click on it.

On the next screen, you've got a couple of options which are: Recent Music (slide toggle), or Add Music (click the +)

The music will sync to your watch while it is charging and connected to either Wi-Fi or your iPhone.

Hopefully this is good information for you 🤷‍♂️

For more information, see the following articles:

Play music on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Add music to Apple Watch - Apple Support

Do more with Music on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Remove music from Apple Watch - Apple Support

Edit - Cellular is explained in the article titled "Do more with Music...". It says to go into your phone settings to turn on cellular, but I also found a cellular setting in the Watch app that might need to be turned on.

Stream Music to Apple Watch with Data and no Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.