Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if i delete messages from my iPad will they be deleted from all devices

If I delete messages from my iPad will they be deleted from all devices?

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 10:55 AM

The behaviour of message deletion will depend upon your iPad settings.

If you have enabled Messages in iCloud on your devices, those devices that use Messages in iCloud are synchronised; deletion from one device will result in synchronised deletion across all devices that use Messages in iCloud.

If you have not enabled Messages in iCloud, messages will only be deleted from the individual device:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > [Apps Using iCloud] Show All > Messages > Sync this [device] - set to ON or OFF as required

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 10:55 AM in response to ona288

The behaviour of message deletion will depend upon your iPad settings.

If you have enabled Messages in iCloud on your devices, those devices that use Messages in iCloud are synchronised; deletion from one device will result in synchronised deletion across all devices that use Messages in iCloud.

If you have not enabled Messages in iCloud, messages will only be deleted from the individual device:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > [Apps Using iCloud] Show All > Messages > Sync this [device] - set to ON or OFF as required

if i delete messages from my iPad will they be deleted from all devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.