Messages on iPad

When deleting apps from the iPad, deleting the app also deletes the associated data. If I delete Messages from my iPad, but not on the iPhone; will I lose the messages already on the phone? I don’t want that to happen but only want messages on the Phone.

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 2:52 PM

If you have enabled iCloud Messages on both your iPad and iPhone, deletion of messages in either device will by synchronised between them.

You can break this link by simply disabling iCloud Messages on your iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Messages - set to OFF

Once set to OFF, you can delete messages in the iPad without affecting your iPhone.

You can disable iCloud Messages on both iPad and iPhone if you wish, but leaving the feature enabled for iPhone ensures that Messages received and sent from your iPhone are effectively backed-up to iCloud.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 2:52 PM in response to jrp in rochester

If you have enabled iCloud Messages on both your iPad and iPhone, deletion of messages in either device will by synchronised between them.

You can break this link by simply disabling iCloud Messages on your iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Messages - set to OFF

Once set to OFF, you can delete messages in the iPad without affecting your iPhone.

You can disable iCloud Messages on both iPad and iPhone if you wish, but leaving the feature enabled for iPhone ensures that Messages received and sent from your iPhone are effectively backed-up to iCloud.

Messages on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.