Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Software Updates on my iPhone using so much data?

Looking at my cellular data and I see that software updates is using a lot of data.

How can I prevent this? I don’t need the turn off cellular data answers. This has not occurred in previous iOS versions. It is only recently iOS 16 that I’ve noticed this issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 8:10 PM

Sadly this solution does not work. I have literally everything turned off. Including the cellular data in settings > app store. Ive even turned off App Downloads, App Updates, etc. Still uses up my cellular data to download. It's been an entire gig. Apple needs to fix this. Im losing money for no reason because of a bug.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2023 8:10 PM in response to psdance

Sadly this solution does not work. I have literally everything turned off. Including the cellular data in settings > app store. Ive even turned off App Downloads, App Updates, etc. Still uses up my cellular data to download. It's been an entire gig. Apple needs to fix this. Im losing money for no reason because of a bug.

Dec 15, 2023 8:52 PM in response to psdance

This is happening on my son’s phone and every month is a battle with him with going over on data. So today I reset my cell usage stats, and in the 20 minutes I was out of the house and not on WI-FI, System Services / Software Update claims to have used 747 MB of cell data on my phone. We have since turned of all automatic updates on the phones, but everything I’ve read on here and macforums says that won’t work… we’re talking GBs of updates every month, per phone, at $12 per GB. I’ve been on iPhone since they first came out, but this is last straw territory and I’m a vindictive SOB with stuff like this. Meaning, it gets fixed or I never buy another Apple product ever again and thats just the first step. There is an action that multiple people who’ve all been wronged financially by the same entity can take.

Jan 29, 2024 4:22 PM in response to psdance

I’m experiencing the same problem. It happened on iOS 17.2.1 with all automatic updates and app refreshes switched off, even low-data-mode and low power mode switched on. Consumer 8GB through System Services —> Software Updates within three weeks. Than updates to iOS 17.3 and for almost two weeks I thought it had been fixed. However, within two days another 2GB were eaten. This happens within minutes of not been connected to WiFi. It’s a serious iOS bug!!! (iPhone XS, no 5G)

Sep 20, 2023 7:35 PM in response to psdance

I also have all cellular data turned off and have still used over 750 MB of cellular data for Software Updates in the first three weeks of September. I don't think that I had the problem before updating to 16.5.1. Now running 16.6.1 and am hesitant to update to iOS 17.

From the number of people on this page with the same problem, it seems Apple has a problem they are not addressing.

Feb 20, 2023 7:31 PM in response to Phil0124

Finally tally is 1.3 GB of cell data used for Software updates. I already updated to 16.1 over wi-fi.

I just wish Apple would allow me to control my cell data usage. It's been a request and a need since the advent of the iPhone. Can you imagine if I didn't have a large cell data plan?

I've turned off all the automatic updates, will see what happens the next month.

Sep 8, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Phil0124

FWIW I had the same issue pop up this month--341 mb "Software Updates" in cellular data usage, plus another 320 for other system services, which is a dramatic increase. But I was never asked to update/choose cellular or wifi. I have cellular data usage turned off for app store, have Data Mode as Standard and had Automatic Updates for iOS turned on. I've now switched the latter off. We'll see.

Why is Software Updates on my iPhone using so much data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.