External HDD not mounting after Ventura update

Hi, I do a lot of audio editing on my Mac mini and store all my files on an external HDD (Toshiba 1TB an a USB-A). It was working fine up until I upgraded to Ventura13.2 from Monterey, after which it's not appearing in either the Finder or Disk Utility apps. However, I can see it's there as a USB device in System Information, and the power light on the HDD is illuminated. It also appears fine on a MacBook Air running Monterey.

Ive searched this forum and see a lot of people reporting similar problems but couldn't find a solution - shall I just downgrade back to Monterey and wait to see if Ventura 13.next presents a fix?

(Side note - Ventura also hides my USB-C main monitor (LG) and I have to repeat this ritual of powering down the monitor, removing the USB cable, then powering down the Mac, then starting up again in reverse order for the monitor to work. Can live with that but cannot live without my HDD).

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 11:16 AM

Just updated to Ventura 13.3 and none of my external drives that were formatted as NTFS will mount, only Mac OS formatted drives mount. I have a licensed version of Paragon NTFS, it doesn’t matter. These NTFS drives mount fine on my old Mac running High Sierra, so I know it’s not the drives or cables. Apple needs to fix mounting NTFS drives on Ventura 13.3, I need my drives working on this machine.

Similar questions

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2023 11:16 AM in response to Goatzilla

Just updated to Ventura 13.3 and none of my external drives that were formatted as NTFS will mount, only Mac OS formatted drives mount. I have a licensed version of Paragon NTFS, it doesn’t matter. These NTFS drives mount fine on my old Mac running High Sierra, so I know it’s not the drives or cables. Apple needs to fix mounting NTFS drives on Ventura 13.3, I need my drives working on this machine.

May 18, 2023 11:03 PM in response to Goatzilla

I am having the same issue with a Western Digital Elements SE SSD (FAT 32).

When I plug it into a MacBook Pro (Big Sur 11.6.8) it mounts immediately and I can access my files.

When I plug it into an M2 MacBook Air (Ventura 13.3.1a) it doesn't mount and only sometimes is visible in Disk Utility.

If I use the following command in the terminal:

% system_profiler SPUSBDataType

I can see the SSD connected to the USB 3.1 Bus but if I run:

diskutil list

the device is not listed.

On the odd occasion it is visible in Disk Utility, I get an error if I try to mount the drive & it disappears from Disk Utility. If I try and "First Aid", I also get an error (I don't have details of the error IDs because the disk isn't showing up in Disk Utility any more).

I have successfully ran First Aid on the drive using the Big Sur PowerBook.

This is 100% an issue with MacOS Ventura.

Jan 31, 2023 2:58 PM in response to Goatzilla

Hello Goatzilla,

Before downgrading your software, let's try to narrow this down and isolate it more by testing in safe mode and a new user account.

Safe mode prevents certain software from opening and also forces the computer to run some disk checks similar to First Aid. This can actually resolve some issues. More information on starting to safe mode and steps to take after starting there can be found here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.

3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode”.

4. Log in to your Mac. You may be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.

2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 

3. You may be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see "Safe Boot" in the top right-hand corner of the window."

If the issue continues after the steps from safe mode, create a new user account (administrator) to see if the behavior happens there. This will let us know if it is system-wide or something within your user account: Change Users & Groups settings on Mac

Delete a user or group on Mac (to remove the test account once completed)

Let us know what you find.

Cheers!

Mar 9, 2023 11:40 AM in response to NateH7253

Same here.

I have an 18TB WD external hard drive that will no longer mount.

It was the Ventura update that did it. I very stupidly updated my 2017 15" MacBook Pro Intel to Ventura & since then the drive won't mount.

Well, actually that's not entirely accurate. It wouldn't mount following the update, I plugged it into one of my other Macs (a 2021 16" MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max running Monterey) & it mounted fine, so I took the precaution of copying all the data from the hard drive onto Dropbox. I then returned it to the 2017 Mac & it mounted, so I carried on as usual.

Today I restarted the 2017 MacBook & the hard drive just will not mount.

It doesn't show in Disk Utility.

I've tried restarts, different ports, I've updated to the latest incremental update 13.2.1.

I restarted in safe mode & it mounted then, but Disk Utility wouldn't work because "it couldn't unmount the drive". (Sometimes it's the irony that will kill you.) So, I'm unable to scan or repair the drive.

Here's the message I got:

Curious that it mentions something which might prevent booting.

That said, it still mounts perfectly well on the M1 MBP although, oddly, Disk Utility wouldn't work on there either for the same reason. It couldn't unmount the disk.

The HDD is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Since I have a full back up of the drive I'm tempted to reformat it but that really sticks in my craw because this is clearly an Apple issue that's messing me up & not something I've done.

If I were to re-format the drive, what would be the best format & what do we think might be wrong with the partition map?

Feb 1, 2023 7:48 PM in response to Goatzilla

So I also made the mistake of updating my MacStudio to 13.2 last night before going to bed, and today, all my external HDs mount beside my Promise Pegasus 32. It shows up as connected under Promis Utility, and disk shows up individually in Disk Utility but does not show up on the Desktop of my Mac nor in finder and non of the files are accessible

Already started in safe mode to no avail; also tried different cables, restarting, and unplugging, but 100% confident it's 13.2 related as it started immediately after I restarted after the update last night

Mar 13, 2023 4:21 PM in response to del.frost

Researching as well, I've been traveling with my iPad 11 Pro, and an external drive, works great together with a dongle I can power, did some updates and the drive mysteriously stopped mounting... I've trouble shot around it as much as possible, though all things are pointing to the issue being with Apple updates. This is a major drag, as I'm on the road, and need to access my drive contents. Buller? Buller? Apple? Apple? Anyone?

Mar 15, 2023 1:58 PM in response to Goatzilla

so I had the exact same problem but with a raid 0 drive thunderbay 8 . 5 out of 8 drives were kind of showing up in the disk utility but I was not able to mount them or unmount them and the "DRIVE" itself was not showing.

I did the following and it works, I don't know how and why it works but it did.

I try the drive on another computer same problem!

I keep plugging it in and out without turning it off or ejecting the drive

I try safe mode and all but no chance

I try to clean NVRAM (I work on M1)

I try to plug the drive with a usb C- to usb A and it was lacking of power to even boot the 5 drives

I run clean my mac.

replug with usb-c to usb-c and it works

this seems random but no formatting and got my drive back

Mar 16, 2023 5:03 AM in response to SorchaAlba

The thing that worked for me last time was to plug the external drive into my M1 laptop. It mounts no problem & spends a couple of hours sounding very busy (like it's indexing or something). I left it to do that & when the drive finally fell silent, I ejected it from the M1 & plugged it back into the 2017 MacBook Pro. It mounted immediately.

Unfortunately, I had to restart my 2017 laptop this morning so of course the external didn't mount.

I tried the same method as outlined above & this time it didn't mount.

So that was obviously a total coincidence.

What a complete joke, Apple!

The only option I think I have is to wipe the 2017 MacBook Pro & take it back to Monterey, who I gather was the last stable operating system.

I can't imagine the amount of pain I'm going to have re-installing every bit of software I have.

Mar 20, 2023 9:16 PM in response to Goatzilla

I have one SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD 2TB drive that I've purchased in June of 2021 and it is still working fine. I do video-editing and I eventually need more disk space. I just bought another SSD (exactly same product as the first one) and I've begun to run into the "drive mounting/data corrupting" problem that everyone else has in this discussion.

Likewise, when I first plugged it into my iMac Pro, it worked. A couple of days later, I tried opening the video files (MP4) that I've saved in this new external drive and the playback of them was all corrupted. I've tried every possible method that has been mentioned in every referable mac forum on the internet. Nonetheless, the same sequential steps of fail reoccurred on it. I've even returned the device to the store and exchanged for a new one. It eventually suffered the same fate.

If this problem with external hard drives (regardless RAID or SSD) has lingered onwards for such a long duration of time, why has Apple not corrected it (since Nov 2022?)? Does the iOS has a clockwork/routine procedure/task that runs to verify the mounting of an external disk before or after sleep/power-off? What on earth would be the reason that would even corrupt the data of external hard drives? This is not only unacceptable but genuinely ridiculous. I would have expected this to happen on PCs (which I've formerly owned with Xeon chips as well) but on a Mac?

Apr 3, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Goatzilla

Ventura 13.3 doesn’t fix it. Don’t upgrade.

I updated from 13.0 to 13.3 and all my external HDDs won’t load now, my NTFS for Mac has been working perfectly fine since this update and it is definitely an Apple problem.

I had to downgrade my system using a Time Machine backup (before which I had to erase the entire hard drive and reinstall Mac because Options wouldn’t let me restore without using migration assistant, also an Apple problem)

Apr 26, 2023 4:40 AM in response to Goatzilla

Ventura 13.3.1. Ok it’s on a 2013 MBP and runs quite happily with Open Core LP. My TM external Ssd 1tb was getting overly full so I made the decision to start over. Went through the normal procedures using DiskUtil and then it failed. No mount, no show on the desktop, nowt. Thought is was bricked and tried all sorts of nonsense to get it back. Usually ended up with “couldn’t mount” etc Decided Ventura was the problem. Luckily I have my original 256gb Apple SSD running Monterey. Popped that in and booted it up. Connected the “broken” SSD. Guess what? Disk Util recognised and did what Ventura couldn’t do - saved it. It took about 20 seconds to format it to a workable state. Changed back to the Ventura internal SSD and bish bash it made me a new Time Machine. Is Ventura the problem? Is OCLP with it the problem? Don’t know but happy to have my wits back along with my TM 😁

May 26, 2023 2:31 AM in response to Goatzilla

Well, after some considerable amount of effort, (dealing directly with Apple Support, re-installing the system, etc.) I found the problem with my set-up completely by accident & it's probably not the same thing that's happening with anyone else therefore no help whatsoever, but I'll run through it anyway, just in case...

Two of my laptops are on the desk in front of me & I have one keyboard/mouse & a Wacom tablet which both machines share.

Rather than continually unplugging things & swapping them between the laptops, I have a little USB A-B switch. This means that the keyboard/mouse & tablet plug into the A-B switch & there's a USB out to each of the laptops. When I need to use the peripherals on one, I simply press the button & it switches control back & forth between the laptops. Works perfectly.

Each of the laptops also has an ethernet dongle.

So here comes the crucial bit...

For whatever reason (freeing up thunderbolt ports or whatever) I had the output from one of the A-B switch's ports plugged into the ethernet dongle & not directly into the Mac.

Also, FOR WHATEVER REASON (god knows why!!!) this prevented the external hard drive from mounting.

Yes, that's right, an external hard drive that was plugged into a thunderbolt port on one side of the Mac was prevented from being mounted by a completely unrelated, passive switch being plugged into the Mac via the ethernet dongle & not directly into the Mac's own thunderbolt port on the other side of the Mac.

As soon as I plugged the A-B switch's cable directly into the Mac, the hard drive mounted & has had no problem being mounted since.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

External HDD not mounting after Ventura update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.