Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

*.pdf Could not be opened - It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognise.

Hello!

I have a problem that appeared a few weeks ago.. I can not open some pdfs that I receive via email.

The issue goes as follow:

• I can not open the pdf file directly from the Mail app (MacBook Pro 16 2019, MacOs Ventura 13.2)
  • The pdf can be opened it if I login in the email via Safari or if I redirect the email to someone else and open it from there(MacBook Pro 14 2020, MacOs Ventura), so the file is not broken..
  • I have also noticed that when i check the same email from the Mail app and from Safari (yahoo mail), the same file has different sizes, typically on the Mail app being smaller.

I have tried synchronising and rebuilding in the Mail app.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you kindly!

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 1:21 AM

If so, (If you were able to test or not), I’d follow these steps:

First, keep a Time Machine backup, if able to:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

You can even export your mailboxes as another backup option, and which is a good idea, especially if any of your accounts are POP and not IMAP, (You can see this in Mail > Settings > Accounts). As well as if you have custom maillboxes under the On My Mac section in Mail:

Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Next, disable Mail for all accounts in System Settings > Internet Accounts.

Make sure the Mail app is closed.

Open Finder, while holding the Option key, on the top menu, click Go > Library.

In the Library, open the Mail folder.

Drag the V10 or associated V folder to the Desktop as a copy.

Restart, the. Relaunch the Mail app while holding the Shift key.

Mail should now be empty for the most part.

Next, enable Mail again for your accounts in System Settings > Internet Accounts.

(If you were unable to identify if a specific account caused the issue, I’d enable one account at a time and test before enabling another account).

Otherwise if all is okay, you’re good to go, however if you think you are missing any mailboxes, you can import them from the folder on the Desktop you saved earlier via Mail > File > Import Mailboxes > Apple Mail, then choose the missing mailboxes from one of the alphanumeric folders in the ~/Desktop/Mail/V10 folder.

Otherwise, if all is there, which it usually is, you can just move that folder to the Trash bin.

Hope that helps!

Otherwise, I’d say, if affecting accounts, it could be a preference issue.

If that is the case, (And all works in another user account, etc.), I’d then do the same steps to disable accounts, quit Mail, and this time in the ~/Library, open the Containers folder, move any folder with Mail or com.apple.mail.plist to the Desktop, restart and relaunch the Mail app. (You’ll probably have to set your mail settings again, such as the layout, rules, signatures, etc.).

If that doesn’t fix it, you may need to do other tests, such as in safe mode, or in another user account, which can take time, but reveals a lot as to the possible cause.

Perhaps if the same happens in a new user, and safe mode, and even if this happens with all email accounts, then most likely the operating system needs to be reinstalled:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Anyhow, hope something here helps!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 1:21 AM in response to DiZoE

If so, (If you were able to test or not), I’d follow these steps:

First, keep a Time Machine backup, if able to:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

You can even export your mailboxes as another backup option, and which is a good idea, especially if any of your accounts are POP and not IMAP, (You can see this in Mail > Settings > Accounts). As well as if you have custom maillboxes under the On My Mac section in Mail:

Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Next, disable Mail for all accounts in System Settings > Internet Accounts.

Make sure the Mail app is closed.

Open Finder, while holding the Option key, on the top menu, click Go > Library.

In the Library, open the Mail folder.

Drag the V10 or associated V folder to the Desktop as a copy.

Restart, the. Relaunch the Mail app while holding the Shift key.

Mail should now be empty for the most part.

Next, enable Mail again for your accounts in System Settings > Internet Accounts.

(If you were unable to identify if a specific account caused the issue, I’d enable one account at a time and test before enabling another account).

Otherwise if all is okay, you’re good to go, however if you think you are missing any mailboxes, you can import them from the folder on the Desktop you saved earlier via Mail > File > Import Mailboxes > Apple Mail, then choose the missing mailboxes from one of the alphanumeric folders in the ~/Desktop/Mail/V10 folder.

Otherwise, if all is there, which it usually is, you can just move that folder to the Trash bin.

Hope that helps!

Otherwise, I’d say, if affecting accounts, it could be a preference issue.

If that is the case, (And all works in another user account, etc.), I’d then do the same steps to disable accounts, quit Mail, and this time in the ~/Library, open the Containers folder, move any folder with Mail or com.apple.mail.plist to the Desktop, restart and relaunch the Mail app. (You’ll probably have to set your mail settings again, such as the layout, rules, signatures, etc.).

If that doesn’t fix it, you may need to do other tests, such as in safe mode, or in another user account, which can take time, but reveals a lot as to the possible cause.

Perhaps if the same happens in a new user, and safe mode, and even if this happens with all email accounts, then most likely the operating system needs to be reinstalled:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Anyhow, hope something here helps!

Feb 21, 2023 2:03 AM in response to DiZoE

@DiZoE

You have solved my problem. The issue was that OneDrive had no permissions to download the file on demand; i.e. when i was trying to open a PDF (as you pointed out it was consuming zero memory space on my mac). My expectation was that when i opened the PDF it would automatically download first then try to open it.

The security update is to adopt a white list as you need security policy; unless an application requests permission from the OS by default it has no permissions.

To give Ventura OneDrive Permissions to download on demand you have to

Go into OneDrive and select Preferences (you can find this in the micro tray at the top right (see image)

Then click this button (Download files as you use them) -> this re-confirms it for Ventura.

All my older PDF's now open in Ventura :)

(while i now cannot replicate the error, i can confirm it was the same error message.)

Jan 30, 2023 11:02 PM in response to MonicaStoian

Hey MonicaStoian!

Thanks for the details, will help if able to.

Can you say exactly what happens when you try opening the file in Mail?

Likewise, if you were to drag the file from mail and save in another location, or even to open in another app than Preview can you say what happens?

Do other file formats open just fine?

Does this only happen from one sender? Or from all senders?

Are you able to open these documents on other Mac’s or iOS devices okay?

Thanks, those answers may help. Off the bat I had these articles in mind:

Safety tips for handling email attachments and content downloaded from the Internet - Apple Support

Change Privacy settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Hope that can help us to narrow down the cause!

Feb 20, 2023 12:11 PM in response to DiZoE

Background:

I have been scanning documents using a networked folder. The network folder points at a OneDrive Account where the PDF's are deposited in the OneDrive/myScans folder automatically > One drive then automatically syncs these files for me.

All the documents I had scanned on MacOS BigSur were viewable and in good health prior to the upgrade to MacOS Ventura sometime before 18th February 2023 at 12:32. Once I upgraded ALL Pdf's i had scanned prior to this are now unreadable in:

• Safari, Brave, Chrome, Adobe Acrobat DC Reader, Anywhere you can think of.

However....

• Any new documents that i scan to the network folder after the 18th February are readable.
  • Documents before the 18th are viewable on Windows, Android and MacOS Big Sur...

I've tried all the above steps they do not work.

• Copying/duplicating files
  • I have reinstalled OneDrive, Adobe Acrobat DC Reader
  • I have kept up to date Chrome, Brave, Safari and the latest Mac OS as of today: 13.2.1 (22D68) on an i9 mac.

I'm convinced that there is some kind of update 'privacy' related with the OS that believes these PDF's are a threat to the PC and marks them as corrupt.

Please can someone address this urgently as the previous person who declared this probably gave up chasing this and isn't a software engineer like me.

What's changed in file world around PDF's, Security, One Drive in Ventura?

This screenshot compares the two files in get Info

Jan 31, 2023 12:44 AM in response to DiZoE

Ok so,

Q:Can you say exactly what happens when you try opening the file in Mail?

A:Yes, while opening from the Mail app.

Q:Likewise, if you were to drag the file from mail and save in another location, or even to open in another app than Preview can you say what happens?

A:So, if I download the pdf file from the Mail app, it won t work, even if I try to open it with other apps.

Also, if I download the pdf from the web browser mail web app (gmail, yahoo), the same file from the same email, it works. Both downloaded and opened, and just opened.

Q:Do other file formats open just fine?

A:Other ar fine so far

Q:Does this only happen from one sender? Or from all senders?

A:It happens randomly from any sender.

Q:Are you able to open these documents on other Mac’s or iOS devices okay?

A:This is actually another weird thing, if I redirect the email received from *person1* with the containing pdf that can t be opened to another *person2* and he opens it trough Mail app, on his device, it works.

Altho I have noticed that after the Rebuild, I can open the pdf from the initial mail that I received, yet I can not open it from the Forwards that I have done, the pdf is now compromised in the forwards.

Jan 31, 2023 12:58 AM in response to MonicaStoian

Hey again, thanks for all that!

So if you right click any pdf on your Mac > Get Info......what is Open With set to?

If other than Preview I’d change to Preview then select the option to Change All and try again.

Otherwise, since rebuilding the mailbox had a temporary fix, I’d say reindexing it even resetting the Mail V folder to defaults and trying again.

But first are you able to confirm if this happens with ALL the email accounts in the Mail app? (If you have more than one to test with), or just one particular account?

Cheers.

Feb 20, 2023 7:33 PM in response to kraggnar

Hey there!

So just to confirm, you’ve changed the default app for pdf’s to Preview, then tested? (I see from the screen shot Acrobat is the default), of course you can right click > Open With > Preview, etc.

I see the location of the files are in ~/Containers, I know Microsoft and other developers use this location. If you move the pdf’s to another location, or duplicate them, do they open? How about if you right click > open?

For the unreadable file, I see it’s using zero disk space, as if it’s only stored with One Drive and not actually downloaded to your Mac, as compared to the readable file, which is using disk space. Perhaps it’s a One Drive syncing issue, or conflict with Ventura.

Are they in fact producing the same error message as the author of this post mentioned?

You can always give Apple Support a call too if you need to as well.

*.pdf Could not be opened - It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognise.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.