Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to open PDF file on Mac Book Pro

My Mac ( 14 Pro ) shows message while opening PDF file receive through mail; that is “ it may be damaged or file format that preview doesn’t recognise “

I noticed that , I can open same file on I pad

Same issue some times noticed for Excel and / or open office files.

OS is Mac OS Ventura V 13.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 7:28 AM

Have you tried downloading the file before attempting to open it on the Mac?

What app is trying to view the .pdf file when you attempt to open it? After downloading the .pdf file, Right-click or Control-click the .pdf file and select the "Preview" app. If you have other apps installed which can view .pdf files, then you can try selecting one of them to open it as well to compare the results. Sometimes web browsers have their own built-in .pdf viewer (I think Firefox and Chromium base browsers have this feature).

Try booting into Safe Mode and trying to open the file. If this works, then it means you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 7:28 AM in response to Suresh S

Have you tried downloading the file before attempting to open it on the Mac?

What app is trying to view the .pdf file when you attempt to open it? After downloading the .pdf file, Right-click or Control-click the .pdf file and select the "Preview" app. If you have other apps installed which can view .pdf files, then you can try selecting one of them to open it as well to compare the results. Sometimes web browsers have their own built-in .pdf viewer (I think Firefox and Chromium base browsers have this feature).

Try booting into Safe Mode and trying to open the file. If this works, then it means you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

Not able to open PDF file on Mac Book Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.