Adobe AcRobat Reader - "could not open" file

My Certified Apple tech recently needed to remove my old MacBook Air (13" - 2017) OS system and replaced it with a new MacOS Monterey 12.6.6. Problem. All of my files created using the old 'Pages" can no longer be opened by Adobe Acrobat Reader (which came with the new OS system) by reason quote: "Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open files 'pages' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded). The new OS system does not have the very convenient 'Pages' option - for whatsoever reason?

Any suggestions please as to how I can once again open those previously generated 'Pages' documents?

Thank you

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 3:55 PM

The only application on the planet that can open Pages documents is Pages itself. Adobe Acrobat Reader is strictly for opening PDF documents, and will open those exported from an open Pages document in Pages.

The recommendation to install Pages v13 from the Mac App Store into Monterey 12.6.6 is a sane one.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 3:55 PM in response to efreken77

The only application on the planet that can open Pages documents is Pages itself. Adobe Acrobat Reader is strictly for opening PDF documents, and will open those exported from an open Pages document in Pages.

The recommendation to install Pages v13 from the Mac App Store into Monterey 12.6.6 is a sane one.

Adobe AcRobat Reader - "could not open" file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.