Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Pages on Mac Mini won't open iMac file: "File Format Invalid"

I created a Pages v13.1 doc on my iMac 2017 and saved it to my public folder. My Mac Mini 2023 sees the file but Pages v13.1 won't open it saying

"ZZ" Can't be opened right now. The file format is invalid.

The file can be opened on my iMac 2013 and Pages v11.1

I experience the same issue with Numbers and Key Note documents. The Mac Mini will open jpg and pdf files.

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 1:55 PM

9 replies

Aug 12, 2023 12:55 PM in response to richfrombatavia1

There are too many variables and unknowns to resolve this Pages v13.1 issue on your 2017 iMac intermingled with your other devices. Use your fallback method (e.g. sneakernet) as needed.

Try booting that 2017 iMac and your M2 Mac mini in their respective Recovery modes, run Disk Utility First Aid on the respective startup drives, and then reboot. Then boot each into Safe Mode, save the Pages 13.1 document into the Public folder, and reboot. Any change on accessing the Pages document?

Aug 12, 2023 5:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi. First of all, thank you for your help. It turns out the files, themselves, are not corrupted. I copied them to a thumb drive on my iMac2017 and successfully opened them on the iMac Mini. So the corruption must occur when accessing the iMac2017 Public folder from the iMac Mini. Attached are screenshots from the iMacMini and iMac2017.

Since I have a work around by using a thumb drive, this issue is not worth spending a lot of time on.

Thanks Again,

Rich Davis

Aug 12, 2023 3:56 AM in response to richfrombatavia1

I have Pages v13.1 running on macOS Monterey 12.6.8 (2020 iMac) and also on Ventura 13.5 (M2 mini Pro/M1 MBP) and have experienced no damaged documents when saved to the local drive. I run no anti-virus and no so-called "cleaner" software on any of my Macs which might play a role in Pages document corruption.

Any chance your Pages documents were shared with someone else from that Public folder and they did something rude with the files? One surefire way to mess up a Pages document is to unzip it and then attempt to rebuild that zip container.

Aug 12, 2023 9:04 AM in response to VikingOSX

The iMac and MacMini are both connected to an AT&T 5286AC router via Ethernet and wifi. There are numerous other devices connected to the router via wifi (phones, iPad, Chromebooks, Windows laptop, smart home devices, etc.). I powered off the Windows laptop, reset the router, and shutdown and restarted iMac and MacMini. Doing this did not resolve the problem. If you want to pursue this, you could provide details on how to trace the SMB connection. I am UNIX literate and comfortable with a Terminal window.

I created this discussion, because of a concern that the Pages/Numbers/Keynote apps were incompatible between the iMac and MacMini environments. This is clearly not the case, since the iMac files open correctly on MacMini when transported via a thumb drive. So I don't have any further concerns and don't mind using the thumb drive solution. Note that file sharing of other file types (pdf, jpg) is successful.

Thx.

Pages on Mac Mini won't open iMac file: "File Format Invalid"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.