Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Mirroring Mac to Macbook

My Mac has screen mirroring (Roku TV and iPad show up). My Macbook has screen mirroring (Roku TV shows up). Why aren't the Mac and Macbook showing up as options to screen mirror each other? They are on the same network, next to each other.

iMac

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 11:18 AM

You may be thinking of 'Target Display Mode', a feature available on a Very narrow set of iMac models. it was last usable the an iMac from 2014 running High Sierra or OLDER

It has been deprecated for more modern Macs, only supported for 2019 or older running Catalina or older.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2023 11:18 AM in response to JudyArkansas

You may be thinking of 'Target Display Mode', a feature available on a Very narrow set of iMac models. it was last usable the an iMac from 2014 running High Sierra or OLDER

It has been deprecated for more modern Macs, only supported for 2019 or older running Catalina or older.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Jan 30, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I don't think this is what I need. I have used a different MacBook as another display before. That's what I'm trying to do. I need to be able to use my MacBook as a 2nd screen. I used your suggestions and am able to share my Mac screen with my Macbook (but not the other way around, oddly). However, I don't know how to make these extended displays (which I know how to do, with screen mirroring).

Jan 30, 2023 11:13 AM in response to JudyArkansas

"Sharing" in the context of screen sharing means 'making available for others to use'.

Sharing is always a one-way connection, with no reciprocity. EACH Mac whose items (Screens, Files, DVD Readers, Network connection) you wish to share must have sharing enabled, and you must connect to that resource by providing credential that would give you access on the SOURCE computer.

Jan 30, 2023 1:58 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

All I know is that one of my Macbooks (my personal one, under the same apple login, "automatically" joins and lets me use it as another display screen for my iMac. The other Macbook (work laptop, different apple login) doesn't. I am considered the "owner" of my work laptop and have all the permissions to add or make changes. The only difference is a different apple login.

What I'm saying is that the capability IS there. I just don't know how to access it with my work laptop.

I'll make it work. The only difference is that I can't move windows across screens and I'm having to use 2 different keyboards/mouses. 1st world problems - I can manage. Just hoped someone could help while I had a few minutes.

I appreciate your time trying to help.

Screen Mirroring Mac to Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.